Hong Kong club holds karaoke singing contest as part of APAHM

Marco Verch | Twitter Trends

The New York City Hong Kong club hosted its 14th annual singing contest on April 10 in the Multipurpose Room in honor of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month. 

The 10 finalists, who had already undergone a preliminary round, were selected after three auditions at karaoke places in both Queens and Brooklyn. 

The top three contestants received monetary prizes and coupons. 

The first, second and third place winners were Enyao Lin, Ting Lam, and Fangrou. 

There were also performances, raffle prizes, and refreshments throughout the night. 

Lin is a sophomore majoring in physical therapy at Hunter College, who said he is very passionate about music and was shocked to win. Lin competed in the contest with the song titled “What do you want me to do?” 

“Very surprising because everyone was doing really good,” said Lin. 

“And I am the last one to sing. The emotions in this song is very intense and I love the song … the emotions it’s trying to express. I think I was born to sing this kind of song, to just express my emotion.” 

Lin said it is an honor and that he didn’t win, he just got lucky. 

“I like to sing and I actually don’t want to win. I just want people to listen to my performance, that’s why I competed,” said Lin. “I don’t think I won, I got lucky.” 

Special guest Tony Nguyen performed his song “Losing” that night and said he had a great time there. 

“It was nice to see Asian representation, especially in the arts because I don’t know if people know this but only 1 percent of the Asians in America go into the arts, so it was really powerful to see everyone singing,” said Nguyen. 

“It’s a blessing to be in a room full of Asian creatives.” 

President of Hong Kong club May Cheung said the turnout was better than she expected. 

“The 10 final performers were really great and I am really happy about the show,” said Cheung. 

“Having a singing contest is a tradition in Hong Kong university school life so we will like to preserve this tradition and bring this to the university life.”