Office of Student Life’s Crystal Tejada leaves Baruch

Emanuela Gallo, Editor-in-Chief

Interim Associate Director of Student Activities and Diversity Initiatives Crystal Tejada of the Office of Student Life announced her departure from Baruch College at the end of the fall 2021 semester.

“Although these past couple of years club life at the college has not been ideal, I commend each and every one of you for your continued efforts to push through and create an engaging club life for our student body,” she wrote in an email sent to student leaders on Dec. 1.

Tejada has spent five years with Baruch, joining OSL in 2017. She first served as assistant director of student activities for three years until July 2020.

She then became the assistant director of diversity, equity and inclusion until November 2020, before entering her current position.

“If there is anything that I have learned in the five years of working here it is that Baruch students are the most intelligent, energetic, ambitious and resourceful people I have ever met and it’s been a pleasure working with all of you,” she said in her email.

As interim associate director of student activities and diversity initiatives, Tejada advised “multicultural, identity and faith-based organizations on effective leadership, activities and initiatives,” according to her LinkedIn page.

Tejada acted as the chair for the Women’s History, Black History and Latinx Heritage Month planning committees. She also co-led the Women of Color Leadership Program and the LGBTQ+ Coalition.

She co-facilitated Urban Male Leadership Academy workshops and helped plan Baruch’s annual Black Grad Ceremony.

Fall 2021 was her first semester advising the Undergraduate Student Government.

“You are an inspiration, and it was my absolute pleasure to advise and lead you all through your collegiate journey’s,” she said in the email.

Tejada received a Bachelor of Arts in psychology from St. Joseph’s College in 2012. She then attended Hunter College to earn a master’s degree in social work. After graduating in 2014, she spent two years and eight months with East Side House Settlement, a non-profit social service organization, as a social worker.

“Remember that your time at Baruch is just the start of your leadership journey, continue to grow, learn and shine your bright light into the world!” she wrote to student leaders.

Any clubs that were advised by Tejada will now report to recently appointed Assistant Director of Student Activities and Operations Brianna Braun.

Tejada turned down a request for comment from The Ticker.