WHM opening features ‘Visionary Women’

Julian Tineo | The Ticker

Baruch College’s Office of Student Life kicked off Women’s History Month with an opening ceremony to celebrate this year’s theme, “Visionary Women,” on March 7.

The opening ceremony took place in the second-floor lobby of the Newman Vertical Campus with trivia, do-it-yourself activities, giveaways and sweets.

Alison Lui, who serves as a co-chair in the Women’s History Month Planning Committee, said, “We came up with this year’s theme as a team to celebrate the future that girls are part of.”

Written on a giant whiteboard in the second-floor lobby was, “What does women’s history mean to you?”

The question attracted participants to the event, who wrote their own definitions of women’s history on the board, such as: “Appreciating one another,” “finally time to talk about us,” “strength and power,” “recognizing the contributions women have made to make the world a better place,” “knowing more about women’s history” and “respecting important women throughout history.”

The celebration began with a DJ playing the song, “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé.

The staff gave away mirror compacts with “WHM 2019” written on them to those who wrote on the whiteboard and followed their Instagram account and gave makeup pouches to those who wrote, followed and were also willing to have their photo taken.

At the photo booth, participants were given the opportunity to take pictures with photographs of influential women in the past and present, celebrating the achievements and contributions women have made.

Starting from Jan. 24, the Women’s History Month Committee held regular meetings every Tuesday during club hours and created events for the annual celebration.

During the month-long celebration, the committee will host a range of different events, such as, “Discussion on Modern Masculinity,” “Women Leaders in the Law,” “Resilient, Independent, Strong, and Empowered,” “Strategies for Salary Negotiation,” “Phenomenal Women’s Awards Lunch,” “Consent Through Dance” and others.

“Women’s History Month is a celebration of the achievements of women in our history, present, and future. It recognizes a society that does not grant women full equity, and remembers the women who have come before us who laid the groundwork for the rights of women everywhere,” said Emma Klainberg, a graduate activities adviser.

To celebrate the achievements and impacts that female students have made on Baruch campus through their extraordinary leadership, the Women’s History Month Planning Committee is currently accepting nominations for winner of the “Phenomenal Women’s Awards Lunch.”

The winner will be honored for being the most visionary woman on March 6.

Toward the end of the event, Klainberg can be heard stating, “Be proud to be a woman. Females are strong! Listen to the women in your life and ask what you can do to support them.”