CUNY celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic+Heritage

CUNY

Rachel Dalloo

CUNY celebrated the 33rd National Hispanic Heritage Month, which lasted from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, across its campuses by hosting numerous virtual events.

“National Hispanic Heritage Month is an opportunity to pay tribute to customs, traditions, histories and cultures that have greatly enriched the communities of our University,” CUNY Chancellor Félix Matos Rodríguez said. “CUNY embraces this commemoration in the same way we embrace diversity and inclusion on all of our campuses, each and every day of the year.”

CUNY is a “Hispanic serving institution.” Out of its 25 campuses, 11 of them are considered to be HSIs, according to the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.

“The wide range of programs available this year under challenging circumstances is a testament to the resolve of our campuses and the University community’s deep appreciation of the heritage and accomplishments of Hispanics past and present,” Matos Rodríguez, the institution’s first Latino chancellor, said.

Baruch College celebrated by playing a variety of Latin music genres every Friday night. It was hosted by Baruch’s WBMB Radio and DJ Tyler Marin.

The Latinx Heritage Month Instagram account connected the student body with videos, quizzes, recipes and other activities.

Bronx Community College hosted a virtual stand-up comedy showcased by a Latinx comedian on Oct. 15.

Guttman Community College’s Student Government Association hosted a discussion with GCC Vice President Miguel Tejeda on Oct. 13.

He shared his experience growing up in the Bronx as a Dominican man.

The GCC Office of Student Leadership & Campus Life collaborated with SGA to host an event called “Noche Latina: Great Grizzly House Party” on Oct. 15 to “present a night of música Latina.”

The New York City College of Technology allowed students to share poems about Hispanic culture and have them showcased on the Student Life & Development Instagram page. Students must include the hashtag #identitycitytech.

Students will vote for the best pieces by responding to the page with the Instagram handle of their favorite writer. The winners will have the opportunity to present their pieces at an upcoming poetry show.

City Tech students had the chance to learn new Spanish words by using a “word of the day” in a sentence. They posted it on Instagram with the hashtag #espanolwithcitytech or by tagging the Student Life Office.

Lehman College hosted a closing event to the month-long celebration by showcasing performances by students. Alumnus Hector Velez will be appearing to give special remarks.

Velez plays an instrumental role in the educational studies of Latin heritage, according to CUNY. He is one of the individuals who founded the Latino Studies Program at Cornell University and helped to create the first Latinx course there.

Queensborough Community College created a month-long book club, organized by the college’s Hispanic Heritage Month committee and the Foreign Language Club. It will end on Nov. 13.

Students will read “Del Amor y Otros Demonios, ” or “Of Love and Other Demons” by Gabriel García Márquez.

Students who are interested in taking part in the activities to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month can visit the CUNY website for more information.