CUNY SPS ranked as a top online Bachelor’s program

CUNY
CUNY

For the sixth year in a row, the CUNY School of Professional Studies was ranked as one of the top institutions in the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs for 2020.

CUNY SPS tied for 16th place in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs ranking, and for 12th place in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans ranking.

The ranking, released on Jan. 14, places CUNY SPS in the top 5% of all schools with online bachelor’s degree programs, and it is the top New York school on the list. 

The U.S. News & World Report ranks and calculates the total score for over 350 universities that offer an online degree based on four different categories: Engagement, Services and Technologies, Expert Opinion, and Faculty Credentials and Training.

The total weighted score for CUNY SPS was 88 points out of 100, and it received the highest marks in the Faculty Credentials and Training category, which speaks to the school’s experienced instructors and how qualified they are to teach a fully online curriculum.

CUNY Chancellor Félix Matos Rodríguez commended SPS for its continuing success, according to a press release posted on the public university system’s website.

“This good news further confirms the rigor of CUNY School of Professional Studies’ academic offerings as well as the school’s commitment to provide exceptional online educational opportunities to New Yorkers from all backgrounds, including many working adults who would otherwise find it difficult to obtain a degree,” Matos Rodríguez said. The success of the school’s online program is fairly recent, as CUNY SPS added 22 of its 23 degrees just in 2006. 

As of 2020, there are nearly 2,500 students enrolled in the school’s bachelor’s program, pursuing one of 11 degrees. Ten of these degrees are fully online and are offered to students who have already earned at least 24 college credits. The program is meant to help adults complete their bachelor’s degree and be able to balance receiving a premium education while working.

CUNY SPS focuses on providing an affordable education that can help adults either begin a new career or advance in their current one, something which U.S. News & World Report noted. 

“To be recognized so highly by U.S. News & World Report again is a true honor, and acknowledges the hard work and dedication of CUNY SPS faculty and staff to ensure working adults receive an exemplary education that will enable them to obtain their diplomas, excel in the workplace, and enrich themselves and their communities,” Dean of CUNY SPS John Mogulescu said, according to the press release.