Hunter College’s paper revived as a new website

Courtesy of Facebook
Courtesy of Facebook

After one year of being an inactive publication, Hunter College’s student-led newspaper The Envoy recently launched its news website which was committed to providing a strong voice for CUNY students, mainly on Hunter’s campus. 

“Hunter students care deeply about a variety of issues and deserve to have a place where they can read about campus goings-on as well as local news,” Editor-In-Chief Lauren Hakimi said.

Hakimi said she doesn’t know exactly why The Envoy was shut down for a year. She described hearing a large number of rumors circulating around the publication’s disappearance.

“And others have said that the newspaper was shut down because the administration didn’t like what was publishing,” Hakimi added. “I can’t speak to what happened, but I can guarantee there’s student interest now, and we’re committed to brave and honest journalism.” 

The Envoy was launched in 1944, as per Hunter’s official website. 

Some students, however, are not as interested in the launch of the newspaper, unless it specifically targets their concerns. 

“Honestly, it doesn’t really matter to me as I doubt I may read it anyways, but if it contains useful information then I’m all for it,” junior biology major at Hunter Naomi Valerio said.

However, some students are unaware about the recent launch of the newspaper, which begs to question the piqued interest of student journalism on CUNY campuses.

“This is the first time I’m hearing of a school newspaper,” junior political science major Kerin Shilla said. “I think it’d be great but only if it’s not crazy censored, it’s important that we have a safe space to voice concerns, which we have a lot of.” 

The newspaper’s small team of four editors is making it big with their dedication to publishing news that matters to students.Their WordPress site features Hunter news, local news and cultural news. 

An impressive feature to their site is the recent addition of an advice column, where students can express their concerns 24/7. At the top of their news site, Hakimi attached an editor’s note — a heartfelt description as to why she and her team decided to launch the newspaper again. “Hunter matters, New York City matters, and — to state the basic premise of The Envoy — you, the students, matter,” Hakimi wrote. 

View Comments (1)