UNICEF raises money for kids at Halloween Bash

Noah Fleischman | The TickerStudents enjoy food, play marshmallow pong and enjoy friendly competition.

Baruch College’s UNICEF hosted its annual Halloween Bash on Oct. 30 to bring both awareness and fun to campus.

The event occurred in the Multipurpose Room in the Newman Vertical Campus during club hours, with some attendees celebrating in costume.

It closed out a week filled with events dedicated to the spookiest time of the year.

The Halloween themed event, which took place on the holiday offered drinks food and games to its attendees while also educating them on what UNICEF does. 

There was music and dancing as well throught the event and offered a much needed break from midterms.

There was marshmallow pong, a raffle and a competition to see who could raise the most money by the end of the event.

Using the iconic orange UNICEF boxes, participants were able to raise over $200, with $90 being the most raised by a single person. 

All proceeds go to UNICEF and will be used to advance the disadvantaged.

Baruch’s UNICEF’s mission is to “educate, advocate and fundraise,” according to the club’s president, Maria Mertaka. 

To her the event was overly successful, “we did have a lot more people than expected. Being that we are a small club in comparison to other clubs our budget isn’t as big.”

“I’m happy to see that people are coming in,” she went on to say.

To her at the end of the day the more people they can educate the better.

UNICEF, which stands for The United Children’s fund, is a part of the United Nations and aims to provide aid for children and mothers in need of assistance around the world.

The organization, which is in over 190 countries, believes, “All children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.”

In order to achieve this goal it has to continually advocate and fundraise, affording children worldwide opportunities they would have never had. 

This includes education, health and improving their lives beyond where they currently are.

The club, in order to attract college students, has to create events that students can both enjoy and learn from.

Other events include a Harvest Fest Event and a karaoke night, as well as volunteering events at the Queens Botanical Garden and helping at a nursing home.

The event brought awareness to Baruch and informed them how far a dollar can go.

On two projector screens the club had two info graphics describing what their donation could do. “$1 can buy pencils for a class of 30 students,” read the info graphic.

Overall, the event brought awareness to Baruch in a way that was both fun and educational.