WIB celebrates its 10th annual ‘Style Your Success’ fashion show

To celebrate its 10th anniversary of hosting the “Style Your Success” fashion show, Baruch College’s Women in Business went with the theme “Decade of Decadence” for this year’s Dec. 7 show.

This year’s event was largely organized by Melissa Lee, executive secretary of WIB, and her SYS committee. With efforts starting in July 2018, the committee managed to gather around $9,000 from corporate sponsors, including companies such as Popbar, Korres and Mario Badescu, with the hope that this would incentivize people to buy raffle tickets.

The money raised by the event will go toward the American Cancer Association. Last year, WIB was able to raise around $2,200 for the organization and this year, the club’s goal is to either match or exceed that number.

The explanation behind “Style Your Success” is that WIB wanted to show students that there are different types of business styles to wear to work instead of the traditional suit and tie.

At the same time, the fashion show’s goal is to “educate and empower because it can be uncomfortable for students to conform to a particular clothing style in the workplace,” WIB President Caitlin Quain said.

The host of “Style Your Success” this year was Baruch alumnus Joseph Bowen, who announced the coming segments and performers on stage and interacted with the audience to keep them entertained throughout the show. One of the people he introduced was Reuel Matthew, the founder and president of Egami Inc. Matthew is also a Baruch alumnus, who founded Egami Collection in 2016 with the mission of providing affordable work-appropriate clothing. WIB has partnered with Matthew in many of the fashion shows, for which he provides two models with suits from his collection to wear during the show. This year, his clothing was modeled during the professional segment.

The fashion show had four segments: business professional, business casual, day-to-night-out and personality. Each segment showcased clothing that was work-appropriate yet unique.

The business casual segment was for days when someone would want to “unbutton your top button” at work, Bowen said. The outfits were casual to the extent that the wearer would feel comfortable in one of them, but the clothes wouldn’t be something that was not allowed in a work environment.

The day-to-night-out segment showed the models wearing clothes that would be acceptable at work during the day, but if one decided to go out to a restaurant or party at night after work, they would be able to wear the same outfit instead of having to change.

The last segment, the personality segment, allowed the models freedom in choosing their clothes. The models were also paired up to walk the runway with a fellow model and do something that they both came up with together, whether it was a skit or a dance.

For example, two female models walked out to “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyoncé, posing and dancing to express themselves. Another pair danced to “In My Feelings” by Drake and threw fake money into the cheering crowd.

In between segments, the raffle winners were announced and there were a few musical performances. The first performance was by a freshman at Baruch who goes by the name Tin. She sang two songs: “This Is Me” from The Greatest Showman soundtrack and “Rise Up” by Andra Day.

The second performance followed the break for refreshments and was done by Mel O. She sang two songs that were written by her, titled, “Take Your Time” and “With or Without You,” which was sung in Spanish. The last performance of the night was by Montesinotes, a group of Baruch students with a shared love for music. The guitarist was Raymond Mei and accompanying him were two singers, Alexandra Chan and Lewis Diep.

Each person in attendance received a gift bag containing items from some of the corporate sponsors and merchandise from WIB.

The show ended with a co-sponsor walk to recognize the clubs that helped WIB with “Style Your Success,” followed by the SYS committee and WIB e-board members’ walk.

To close the night, Quain and Lee gave a speech thanking everyone for attending the show, and the club gifted Lee with flowers for her hard work.