A $95M Nursing Education, Research and Practice Center at Lehman College 

Jumaane Millette

Lehman College has inaugurated its cutting-edge $95 million Nursing Education, Research, and Practice Center, a game-changer in the fight against healthcare disparities. This state-of-the-art facility, spanning 52,000 square feet, is equipped with 22 robotic patient simulators, preparing nursing students for real-life medical scenarios. New York is projected to need more nearly 40,000 nurses by 2030. This well-timed initiative addresses critical gaps in the healthcare workforce. 

The center’s inauguration comes amid pressing healthcare challenges, exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic, which strained medical resources and underscored the need for a robust nursing workforce.

“With more space and resources, CUNY will be able to train even more nurses to meet the needs of underserved communities in the Bronx and beyond, and help fill nursing shortages that are projected across New York State over the remainder of the decade,” said CUNY Chancellor Félix Matos Rodríguez. 

New York’s impending nursing shortage, particularly acute in underrepresented communities, demands innovative solutions to meet the healthcare needs of its diverse population. Gov. Hochul’s support for public higher education has been pivotal in addressing the nursing shortage, evidenced by initiatives like the “Nurses for Our Future” scholarship. 

The scholarship was created by the governor in 2021, which covers tuition for 1,000 RN degrees at CUNY and SUNY, as a step to easing the transition from classroom to workplace.

“The opening of our new Nursing Education, Research, and Practice Center represents our commitment to our students, our community, and our city,” said Fernando Delgado, Lehman College president. 

“In what can be considered a critical and important time in healthcare, offering students hands-on training is essential in preparing them as they go into practice, to ensure they can deliver the best possible care to their patients. We celebrate this opening and look forward to developing and nurturing future generations of qualified and skilled nurses in our new facility.”

With $91 million in state funds, Lehman’s new facility exemplifies a collaborative effort to bridge nursing education and practice gaps. 

At the heart of the center’s mission is a commitment to health equity and representation, aligning with CUNY’s legacy of serving historically marginalized groups. 

By tripling the program’s capacity, it aims to bolster the pipeline of culturally competent nurses, addressing disparities in healthcare access and outcomes across NYC’s diverse communities. 

The center’s innovative features, including programmable patient simulators and a simulated city apartment, offer immersive training experiences for nursing students. From emergency care to home healthcare support, these simulated scenarios prepare students to navigate the complexities of modern healthcare delivery. 

Beyond addressing immediate workforce needs, the center underscores CUNY’s broader commitment to public health and education infrastructure. 

This investment not only strengthens Lehman’s nursing program but also lays the groundwork for future advancements in healthcare education and research.

In a city where healthcare disparities persist, Lehman College’s Nursing Education, Research and Practice Center represents a beacon of hope. Empowering the next generation of nurses with cutting-edge training and resources promises to reshape the landscape of healthcare delivery in New York and beyond.