NYC gets fishy, Gov. sets new 2024 free fishing days

Joshua Kehn
Joshua Kehn | Flickr

Governor Kathy Hochul announced on Feb. 5 the six designated Free Fishing Days in New York. These days are scheduled for President’s Day weekend on Feb. 17–18, June 29–30, National Hunting and Fishing Day on Sep. 28 and Veterans Day on Nov. 11. During these days the license normally required to fish is waived for freshwater fishing on New York waters. 

“The Free Fishing Days program provides a great opportunity for aspiring anglers to try freshwater fishing for the first time or for former anglers to reconnect with one of America’s favorite pastime,” Hochul said.

The program began in 1991 to allow people who might not engage in fishing to try the sport at no cost. It is conducted as a means of helping people discover a new hobby and encouraging them to support conservation by purchasing a New York State fishing license. 

The purchase of a fishing license helps encourage and promote safe and environmentally friendly practices. A large amount of the funding for state and local conservation initiatives, including land restoration and acquisition, comes from license fees.

To support individuals interested in fishing as a new hobby or simply for discovering new experiences, the Department of Environmental Conservation, which oversees the protection of the environment, offers several resources.

The DEC has published a thorough guide, “I FISH NY Beginners Guide to Freshwater Fishing,” that covers everything from the fundamentals of fishing to crucial fishing laws. DEC also offers websites and video series that provide more details and planning tools for different types of fishing excursions.

It is important to mention that the Free Fishing Day program does not exclude standard fishing regulations. Fishing regulations are established to prevent excessive fishing that would affect the sustainability of the resource for future generations. 

Outside of the designated days anglers above 16 must possess a valid fishing license obtainable through the DEC website.

Even though the practice of fishing endangers some fish species and overfishing is still a present issue, fishing allows families to create core memories and bonds. Fishing creates a relaxing and fun environment while allowing people to connect with nature. 

The drawbacks and environmental issues of fishing are the reason why fishing regulations are developed and governmental agencies like the DEC are formed.