BREAKING: Classes in 17 Lex canceled due to power outage

Iraj Zia

Baruch College announced that all classes in the Lawrence and Eris Field Building at 17 Lexington Avenue Lex canceled for Jan. 25, the first day of the spring semester in text and email alerts sent to students at around 8:20a.m. The building is closed due to a power outage. 

All classes in the Newman Vertical Campus, Newman Hall, and Information and Technology Building are not impacted.

Baruch did not announce when the Field Building is expected to reopen. 

Accounting 2101 recitation was scheduled to begin at 9:00a.m. and lectures were at 9:55a.m. in the Field Building.

The Field building has been under ongoing “renovations and modernization.” The project is the first significant renovation of the building since its opening in 1929. The renovation is a six-stage project funded by New York State and the New York City Council.

Baruch announced work as part of “Phase 2” of renovation in an email shared with students on Jan. 5. 

The first phase was completed in February 2021 and cost $109 million dollars

“For the next two weeks, the contractor will be taking advantage of the semester break and focusing on the demolition portion of the project,” Tom Gaimaro, Baruch director of facilities planning, design and construction said in the email. “They will be working multiple shifts to prepare the space for the next construction activity.”

The project is managed by CUNY and the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York, in coordination with the College’s Office of Campus Facilities and Operations.

Baruch informed students that an update on the power outage will be distributed later in the day on Jan. 25.

This is a developing story