Blog helps students show that their lives do matter

Joel Bautista | The Ticker

In an attempt to promote the freedom of students and encourage self-identity amongst the Baruch community, Professor Damele Collier’s English 2150 class held an “Our Lives Matter” event on the second-floor lobby of the Newman Vertical Campus on Oct. 16.

OLM began as a blog-style writing assignment for one of Collier’s English classes back in the fall semester of 2017.

The main idea of the blog was to spread the idea that students can gain liberation while also improving society.

Along with the idea of improving society, the OLM movement also aims for people of different backgrounds to form coalitions with common goals of social uplifting.

“I began the Our Lives Matter project as a way to champion the voices of our students.” said Collier.

“It is my goal that every Baruch student will blog, make videos, write songs, rap, write poetry and plays about why their lives matter,” 

The OLM blog is also currently in the process of being turned into a video series on YouTube. The series will have the same name as the blog.

Collier stated that she is hoping to launch the series as soon as possible.

Not to be confused with the Black Lives Matter movement, Collier explained that the OLM movement, as a whole, serves as a welcoming platform for
students regardless of the color of one’s skin color or religious background.

“OLM is a movement — it is meant to affirm to students that their voice matters. That reason alone is why I will be presenting the ‘Our Lives Matter’ campaign to other colleagues at a conference in Pennsylvania,” said Professor Collier.

“I started this as a writing prompt and now it has turned into a blog.”

Some of the students that helped Collier in the event also explained their reasoning as to why spreading the message about OLM is so important to them.

“I hope more people arrive today and contribute to the blog. It is very important for people
of diverse backgrounds to share their stories,” Adelina Krasnigi said.

Krasnigi continued by saying, “Professor Collier’s ‘Our Lives Matter’ movement will help other people understand diversity and what it truly means.”

“The event will prove very beneficial,” said student Diana Rustamova.

“Students will think about their own selves and what they can do to improve themselves.”