78th NBA Preview

Flickr
Flickr

The NBA is back, and many intriguing storylines have already emerged just a few games into the season. Fans can expect how their teams will fair this season, as well as who the league’s brightest stars will be and what surprises may be in store. 

The reigning champion Denver Nuggets picked up right where they left off after raising the Larry O’Brien trophy in June. 2023 Finals Most Valuable Player Nikole Jokic is still the best player in the world, and his co-star Jamal Murray continues to dazzle on the court. The Nuggets are poised for another Finals run as they look to defend their title. 

After a blockbuster deal that sent superstar guard Damian Lillard to the Milwaukee Bucks, the expectations for the Bucks skyrocketed. Lillard joined two-time league MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo. The Bucks currently sit at 3-2, with varying performances following Lillard’s 39 points in their opening game. Time will tell how the Bucks’ season will play out, but they are sure to be a force in the Eastern Conference. 

Another huge trade over the summer sent three-time All-Star Bradley Beal to the Phoenix
Suns to join superstars Kevin Durant and Devin Booker. However, Beal has yet to see the floor with his new team, and the Suns are 2-4. With proper strategy and preparation, they may be a title contender in a talented Western Conference. 

The Western Conference increased in talent after the Los Angeles Clippers acquired former MVP, ten-time All-Star and a member of the NBA 75th Anniversary Team, James Harden. Harden will be playing alongside superstars Kawhi Leonard, Paul George and Russel Westbrook. Harden also adds another element to the LA-LA rivalry with the Lakers, who are led by all-time great LeBron James and star Anthony Davis. 

Nobody was more talked about leading up to the season than rookie phenom Victor Wembanyama from France. The San Antonio Spurs won the “Wemby Sweepstakes” and selected Wembanyama with the first overall pick. Just a few games into the season, Wemby has taken the league by storm. On Thursday, he captured 38 points and 10 rebounds. Spurs fans have good reason to be hopeful about the future of the franchise. 

For the first time ever, the NBA unrolled its In-Season Tournament. Each team was put into a group. There are six different groups with each group containing five teams. Eight teams advance from group-play to the knockout round. Group-play games happen on designated tournament nights; the first of which was on Friday. The tournament Semi-

Finals and championship will be in Las Vegas. 

New-look teams, highly anticipated rookies and the inaugural In-Season Tournament are sure to make the 78th NBA season a memorable one.

View Comments (1)