Baruch in Concert showcases students’ musical talent

Mia Euceda

On the windy afternoon of Nov. 2, Baruch in Concert held its bi-annual show in the Clivner=Field Plaza. Students were given the opportunity to showcase their musical talent in front of fellow students, faculty and bystanders. 

Music professor Thedore Gordon said the concert committee received 17 submissions this year and aimed to organize an eclectic program. 

“We do get all different kinds of music, ranging from singer songwriters who write their own stuff to like, people who play classical piano or other instruments to people who are rappers or hip hop producers who will perform over backing tracks,” he said. “So this we got a wide range of styles. So we try to program it so that it’s diverse throughout the whole concert.”

Baruch’s chorus team was the first to perform, directed by adjunct lecturer Nathan Fletcher. Over a dozen students performed an acapella cover of “Ríu Ríu Chíu,” a Spanish Christmas carol from 1556. 

The programming was briefly paused, as it was difficult to hear the choir over an unrelated pro-Palestine student demonstration at the plaza. The choir continued singing after demonstrators moved further down the plaza to organize.

The remaining performances were by solo performers, several of whom are pursuing their own careers in music.

Next up was Ryan Alwi, singing and playing his song “You Can’t Turn Back Time” on the piano. Alwi sang about living in the moment and cherishing the present.

Freshman Martina Tamayo strummed on an acoustic guitar for her song “Call Me Up.” She said the song is about “relationships and how things can get disconnected with a lack of communication.” In an interview with The Ticker, Tamayo said that although she was nervous about the concert, she hopes to perform again in the future.

Ajani Palmer performed his rap song “Sob Stories,” a lyrical tale of his situations, trauma and how he wants to improve.

Baruch alumn Souleyman Traore, who graduated from Weissman in Dec. 2022, rapped his song, “Shirley.” Traore, also known as Soul of Hrlm, said he was inspired by “Ice Spice, that Shirley Temple look,” and how their curly hairstyles have been sexualized in recent years. He said he hopes to bring back the innocence it was once associated with.

A few students performed acoustic covers such as Taylor Swift’s “Clean” and Lucy Dacus’ “Home Again.” Zaki Asam performed a cover of “cold/mess” by Prateek Kuhad. Returning performer and senior Adi Har-Shemesh covered “Bless the Telephone” by Labi Siffre as her last performance. 

“It’s been a great place for students to feel comfortable performing for their peers in a collegial public setting, where their friends can stop by, it’s like, pretty casual,” Gordon said. “It’s not like you sit down, everyone’s quiet and the spotlight comes on you.”

Baruch in Concert occurs once every semester. Students interested in auditioning for the Spring 2023 concert can contact ted.gordon@baruch.cuny.edu for more information.