Sigma Alpha Delta kicks off alumni mentorship program

Courtesy of Sigma Alpha Delta
Courtesy of Sigma Alpha Delta

On Oct. 22, Baruch’s Honor Society, Sigma Alpha Delta, will be kicking off its Fall 2019 Mentorship Program. 

Sigma Alpha Delta’s Career Development Committee puts the mentorship program together every semester and through it gives undergraduate students the opportunity to get to know accomplished or retired professionals from various industries, including finance, accounting, marketing, law, journalism and more. 

The program opens with a speed networking event where mentees get the chance to talk to all of the mentors in order to pick their match for the program. 

After getting a chance to briefly get to know one another, mentors and mentees select their top three preferences and be paired up accordingly.

This begins the semester-long series of “coffee chats” with the mentors that aim to  help mentees improve their resumes, networking skills and get an overall perspective of an industry from the lens of their mentor. 

Mentors and mentees are required to meet at least once a month. 

The program encourages mentees to spend individual time with the mentors, making it easier for the mentors to understand their strengths and weaknesses.

“I have always prided myself on being a graduate of Baruch and the various opportunities it provides to its students,” said Devon Henry, one of the mentors, about the program, “one of these great opportunities is the student-led Mentorship program offered by Sigma, which has given me the opportunity to work with young professionals, (who are) figuring out how to make the most of their time at Baruch, their plans for the future and helping them with high stakes decision making. It has been one of the best parts of being an alumnus for me.”

Like Henry, many mentors involved in the program are Baruch alumni. Sigma Alpha Delta selects mentors based on availability in their schedules and have previously worked in companies such as JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bloomberg LP, EY and Morgan Stanley. 

Last spring’s program included mentors working in information technology, human resources and publishing, however most mentors come from finance and accounting backgrounds. That said, even mentees who are majoring in different areas can benefit from the program with resume and networking guidance.

Mentees are selected after an extensive interviewing process with current e-board members, who look for applicants who really display a strong interest to become a part of the mentorship program. 

The e-board also considers majors, interests, past experience and availability when evaluating potential new mentees. 

Once selected, mentees are notified and invited to the first official meeting of the program: the Speed Networking Event. Space is limited and those interested should reach out to Sigma Alpha Delta either this semester or next.

Viktor Bunin, a Baruch alumnus and program mentor, described Sigma Alpha Delta’s Mentorship Program as, “an institution that should be prioritized and improved with every semester. 

I’ve paired with wonderful mentees through it and encourage folks to continue getting involved in it.”