Seasons change and so should your style: Men’s fall essentials

Kevin Valdez | The Ticker

Guys, listen up. We have to stop the college boy uniform of joggers and T-shirts. Being fashionable in the fall is so easy and doesn’t require crazy articles of clothing, so don’t worry. I’m about to briefly explain the 10 fall essentials for men.

Number 1: A structured blazer. 

This should already be in your wardrobe since every man should own a suit or a couple. 

You can use a suit jacket to either look formal or more casual by pairing it with a crisp button-down shirt, tailored trousers and leather Oxfords, or wear a hoodie under it with sneakers for a more casual look.

Number 2: The chukka boot

These are extremely versatile and very popular. Pair a light brown suede chukka boot with jeans, a button down and a denim jacket for an easy, layered look.

Number 3: A timeless tie

Everyone needs to wear a tie at some point, so having one that isn’t too bold of a print is a very good idea. A plain color or a subdued pattern is always a good bet, and make sure to match it with the shirt. It doesn’t have to be the exact same color or pattern as your shirt, but it shouldn’t clash.

Number 4: The plaid button-down shirt 

These things are not going away and for good reason. They look great on everybody. It goes very well with jeans, whether it is dark or light wash. Pair it with boots and you’re good to go.

Number 5: A quarter zip sweater 

These are preppy and great for adding an extra layer that doesn’t take away from the rest of your look. It’s a step up from the classic hoodie, making it business-casual acceptable. Layer it over a plaid shirt with some colored chinos or jeans, add Chelsea boots and you’ll look completely put together no matter where you’re going.

Number 6: The leather belt 

This accessory can really pull together a look, as well as keep your pants secure. If your shirt is tucked in, the belt is an essential piece and will never fail to look good.

Number 7: The vest 

Seen by many as the finance bros’ uniform, think about the Patagonia vests all over the city, they are actually very useful. A vest can add an extra layer of warmth in the cold mornings, while still keeping your body a good temperature during the rest of the day. No need for the bulky jackets you end up carrying around for hours.

Number 8: Colored denim pants 

Don’t be scared, I don’t mean a bright color, just a color other than blue or black. This could be a muted jewel tone, but no matter what color you choose, make sure your shirt is a neutral shade so the outfit isn’t too loud.

Number 9: Dark wash jeans

A light wash is good for a causal look, but to elevate your outfit, dark washes look more sophisticated. To avoid looking too dressed up, add a pair of lace-up leather sneakers and a muted plaid shirt.

Number 10: The preppy-polo shirt 

Polos have been around forever and always looks better than a T-shirt. They’re the perfect balance between casual and formal because they fall between a T-shirt and a dress shirt. They’re great for events that are not very formal but also not entirely casual.

With these 10 simple clothing items, you will rock the fall weather and the new school year.