Bearcat Creatives: DJ Tyler Marin’s knack for music

DJ Tyler
Tyler Marin
DJ Tyler

No good event on campus goes without music, an area of expertise for DJ Tyler Marin. Born and raised in Queens, the 22-year-old operations management major is the main DJ behind Baruch College events.

Marin grew up in a Puerto Rican and Nicaraguan household filled with music. His parents and his diverse borough of Queens introduced him to various music genres. 

“Queens is like a melting pot that exposes me to different cultures and styles of music and love,” Marin said in an interview with The Ticker. “My parents introduced me to every genre. My father loved Latin music and mom loved English music.”

Marin’s music taste is a varied mix of hip hop, reggaetón, classic rock and R&B. He follows the steps of his father, who also DJed in his youth.

“My father was a DJ when he was 13, the same age I started,” Marin said. “He always had love and DJ equipment. I tried to mimic my dad and figure it out for myself, but I was terrible at first.”

With help from his father, Marin learned the basics of DJing and mixing. He started performing in front of his friends and got his first gig in high school. The opportunity came when Marin’s father could not DJ, so Marin stepped in at a promotional event at a Modell’s Sporting Goods store in Brooklyn.

Marin’s time at Baruch was a journey of personal and professional growth. As a freshman, he was an introverted student who gradually found his way to WBMB, the college’s radio station. Despite the pandemic’s challenges, Marin continued hosting radio shows through Zoom. 

As Baruch re-opened for in-person activities, Marin established himself on campus, often DJing for school and club events. From there, he was given the opportunity to DJ at other CUNY schools, private schools, lounges and other events in the tri-state area. 

“It feels like a rush of energy and my brain is going 100 miles per hour, Marin said. “Music brings people together. I’m not doing my job if they are not together.”

Marin specializes in Latin music, often playing merengue, salsa, bachata and reggaetón. He has also learned about other cultures’ music genres and works to diversify his sets, reflecting the diverse demographics of his audience.

Behind the scenes, Marin’s job requires more multitasking than his audience would perceive. A good DJ has to match the event’s theme, keep the crowd’s energy up, make announcements and keep track of the remaining time. 

In addition, being a DJ requires marketing and building a personal brand. This includes handing out merchandise and making connections.

“Giving out cups and shirts looks fun, but it takes a lot of hours and thought into creating a logo and building a brand associated with quality,” he said. “Along with managing finances, practicing and creating things have taken hours.”

Marin is grateful to his father for showing him tough love and giving constructive criticism. He also owes special thanks to Chris Mambo, a mentor who gave Marin the opportunity to be on New York radio station X96.3 FM. 

In addition to his work at WBMB and DJing events, Marin currently works for SiriusXM. He hopes he can continue being a DJ and appearing on radio.

“DJing will be a passion for life, music is something you cannot retire from,” Marin said.  

Marin advises other creatives to pursue their passions, no matter how impossible it may seem. “A lot of people will discourage you but if you have the work ethic and determination, you will make it,” he said. “I never imagined I would be on the radio, but I made it happen.”

DJ Tyler Marin’s work can be found on his SoundCloud and Instagram: @djtylernyc.