Yankees have ample combinations for 25-man playoff roster

With the Major League Baseball regular season coming to an end, it is time to look ahead to what the playoffs will have in store for New York Yankees fans.Throughout the entire 2019 season, there have been major questions of who will make the postseason roster due to the constant injury bug and the “next man up” mentality.The Yankees’ season was defined by the resilience of the young players that took over for veterans and their ability to continue to dominate not only the American League East, but the entire MLB.The hard part comes in predicting what the 25-man playoff roster will be.There are those few players that have been key contributors to the team’s success that will not be making the roster.This will, of course, upset fans and will cause some scrutiny of the front office and management.It will be interesting to see which players will make the competitive 25-man playoff roster and compete towards the Yankees’ potential 28th World Series championship.Catchers: Gary Sanchez, Austin RomineThis is one of the easiest positions to predict.Once Sanchez is healthy from the nagging groin injury that he has dealt with for the better part of the last two seasons, he is the number one catcher and a middle-of-the-order guy.His greatly improved defense and the combination of his quickness and strong arm to throw out runners on stolen base attempts is a huge asset for the Yankees.Romine has been an excellent backup and has shown his worth to the team during Sanchez’s injury. If needed, he will be able to slide into the bottom of the order and present great defensive skills.This also gives Sanchez a day off and the possibility for him to pinch hit.Infield: Luke Voit, Edwin Encarnacion, DJ LeMahieu, Gleyber Torres, Didi Gregorius, Gio Urshela, Tyler WadeThis group of players will be interesting to keep an eye on.Here, the odd man out is Urshela, which may come as a huge shock to many, but his September has been one to forget.In 15 games, he has hit a measly .188, while other players have continued to stay hot.However, hitting is a contagious part of the game and Urshela could easily break out of his month-long slump. He is still an asset with the gold-glove caliber defense that he plays.Gregorius has been one of the Yankees go-to guys in the playoffs. In the past two seasons, he hit a three-run home run in the 2017 Wild Card game and two home runs off Corey Kluber in the same year’s American League Divisional Series.2019 has not been kind to him at the plate, as he has not been able to get anything going.It would be difficult for manager Aaron Boone to take him out of the lineup.Gregorius professes the leadership style that not many can, and his left-handed bat is an asset in a heavy right-handed lineup.It could be expected for a lineup to feature LeMahieu at third base, Gregorius at shortstop, Torres at second base and Voit at first base, with Encarnacion taking the designated hitter role.This gives the Yankees the ability to mix a good fielding defense with very strong offensive presences in the lineup.Tyler Wade would be used as a late inning pinch runner and a “swiss army knife” type of player, who could play both infield and outfield.Outfield: Giancarlo Stanton, Aaron Judge, Brett Gardner, Cameron MaybinThere were questions only a month ago regarding whether Stanton will even play in a game this season after he missed several months with a leg injury, but since his return, he has quieted many critics.With a log jam at designated hitter and a shortage of outfielders, he will have to continue to be the Yankees everyday leftfielder. This was not the issue many thought he would have though.Many focused on if he could be comfortable at the plate after missing so much time and not being able to do a rehab assignment so late in the season.He was able to throw these questions out, as he has been more than comfortable since his Sept. 18 return against the Los Angeles Angels.He has shown a good eye at the plate and his well-known ability to smash pitches in the zone.Gardner will patrol center field after the incredible season he has had, and Judge will be their everyday right fielder.Maybin would come off the bench and be the fourth outfielder to replace Mike Tauchman, whose season ended with an injury in their series against the Boston Red Sox.Starting Pitchers: James Paxton, Luis Severino, Masahiro Tanaka, CC Sabathia, J.A. HappThe biggest question mark for the Yankees in the playoffs is who will be given the ball for multiple starts in the American League Divisional Series.Paxton and Severino have proved all the doubters wrong with the latest performances they have had.Paxton is expected to be the Yankees’ Game 1 and 5 starter due to the stretch he has been on. In Paxton’s previous 10 starts, he is 10-0 with a 2.25 earned run average and has clearly been the team’s best starter.On the other hand, Severino has made two starts and in the 9.0 innings he has pitched, he has not given up a run to go with 13 strikeouts.He has shown his true ace dominance that he has shown in years past.Tanaka is known to give the Yankees huge performances when it matters most in the postseason. Even with his up-and-down regular season, he can be counted out to be a deciding factor.Happ and Sabathia will have to fight it out to make a game four start in the ALDS and even compete with each other to be the long relief option out of the bullpen.Bullpen: Aroldis Chapman, Zack Britton, Adam Ottavino, Tommy Kahnle, Chad Green, Luis Cessa, Jonathon LoaisigiaThe bullpen has been the bulldog for this club for the entire season. They have produced the most consistent outings and have completely dominated opponents.Everyone knows the core four relievers that will be used when available, but the injury to Betances quickly opened a spot.This was thought to be grabbed by Loaisigia, who has not performed up to what was truly expected, but definitely has the pitch makeup to perform well in any circumstance.Green is the sleeper in this bullpen. After his horrid start to the season, he was used mainly as their opener. In recent times, however, he has gone back to the pitcher he has been the past two seasons.It is terrifying to think that a starter might only have to keep a lead until the fourth or fifth inning and then turn it over to this bullpen.The Yankees clearly have the group of guys to make the run for their 28th World Series title, but now they have to put it all together and hope that Boone can make the right moves to get them there.This will be no easy task for the Yankees, as they will most likely not be holding home-field advantage in the American League Championship Series, if they were to meet the Astros there.However, there is a different confidence about this team and they are scared of no one and have the ability to defeat any team they go toe-to-toe with.