BearCat Recap

After celebrating 50 years of Division III athletics, Baruch College Bearcats prepare for an action-packed season with high hopes for game victories and a progression towards the championships.

The Bearcats Women’s volleyball team crushed the Medgar Evers Cougars on Tuesday night, 3-0. In each round, the Bearcats performed fiercely on the court, sweeping the scoreboard 25-8, 25-5 and 25-7.

As the 2022 season’s MVP, Baruch’s Julia Perkowski showed her determination to win the game with ten kills, a third of the ones made by Baruch in the game. Incoming freshman Karen Pozo also stood out in this game with 14 assists.

Racking up 31 aces overall, the Bearcats dominated the Cougars to place them 2-0 in the CUNYAC, a promising start for a team set on making it to the championships.

The team did not have as much luck on Saturday when they lost against SUNY Buffalo State and St. Joseph’s with a score of 3-0.

Despite these losses, the Bearcats played hard to keep the game close. Against Buffalo, the Bearcats trailed only slightly behind with 25-19, 25-17 and 25-11.

The Bearcats now stand 4-5 overall, and with time to prepare for Saturday’s game against Manhattanville College, the Bearcats are sure to bounce back with the same energy of Tuesday night’s game to secure another win.

In Women’s tennis, Baruch crushed Sarah Lawrence College on Tuesday, 7-2. The Bearcats won two of the three doubles and five of the six singles, garnering an overall win.

Baruch’s Esther Benjamin made a tough comeback in the fourth singles, 2-6, 6-0 and 10-7, managing to secure a win despite the pressure. Shanae Love provided the fifth victory in the singles with a sweeping 6-1, 6-2.

The Bearcats continued their winning streak with a 9-0 victory over the Brooklyn College Bulldogs. The Bearcats came to the court with high energy on Thursday afternoon, rapidly winning all three doubles and six singles.

Bearcats Aishika Yadav continues a strong rookie season with a win in both her singles, 6-0.

In close matches, Baruch’s Kelia Pagan won her fifth singles game 7-6, 7-5 and 6-1. Pagan also partnered with Shanae Love in the doubles for a solid victory, 8-0.

The Friday game against York College was postponed, but the Bearcats will return this week when they face Purchase College on Tuesday. With their current standing as undefeated in the CUNYAC 5-0, the team looks forward to continuing their winning streak.

Baruch’s men’s soccer team also has an action-packed schedule this week with a game against York College on Wednesday and a game against CUNY rival John Jay on Saturday.

The Bearcats have begun their respective seasons strong and will continue to do so in upcoming games.