Baruch was ranked No. 10 best public college by Wall Street Journal

John Wisniewski | flickr

Baruch College was awarded several titles in the “2024 Best Colleges” rankings by the Wall Street Journal and College Pulse, including the No. 1 public college in New York, No. 5 in New York State and No. 10 public college in the country. 

Baruch’s News Center reported, “The WSJ and College Pulse also collaborated with Statista to survey more than 60,000 students and alumni seeking feedback about preparation for career success, student satisfaction with the college’s facilities, college recommendation score and opportunities to interact with people from different backgrounds.” 

Baruch is listed as No. 47 out of 400 schools on the “2024 Best Colleges” list. Baruch scored 79.2, whereas the top school on the list, Princeton University, scored 91.6.

In addition to its overall score, Baruch was ranked in three separate categories. The first category is ‘Student Experience’.

The WSJ placed Baruch at No. 87 in this category and scored them 66.1. 

The next category is ‘Social Mobility’, where The WSJ evaluated Baruch on their efforts to improve the financial situations of their graduate students. 

The WSJ described the ‘Social Mobility’ category as, “… universities that take in the highest proportion of students coming from lower-income families, while maintaining high graduation rates and having a positive impact on graduate salaries and minimizing the costs of attending the college.”

The WSJ placed Baruch at No. 7 in this category and scored them 97.5.

The final category is ‘Salary Impact’, where The WSJ evaluated Baruch on its affordability.

The WSJ described the ‘Salary Impact’ category as a ranking that, “… lists schools in order of their impact on graduates’ salaries and how this relates to the cost of attending the college.” 

The WSJ placed Baruch at No. 87 for this category and scored them 80.4. 

Baruch received similar rankings in The Wall Street Journal’s and Burning Glass Institute’s list of “Top Colleges for High-Paying Jobs in Finance”, where Baruch was ranked No. 6.

“The new ranking, based on data from top think tank Burning Glass Institute, measures the impact of a school’s degree on post-graduate earnings in the financial services industry. According to The Wall Street Journal, Baruch graduates earn over $14,000 more annually, compared to the median salary,” Baruch’s News Center reported. 

Financial executives ranked Baruch at No. 6 because of their location in Manhattan, which allows students to acclimate to a metropolitan lifestyle and have easier access to internships with major financial companies. Additionally, interns are more likely to receive full-time positions.

Baruch’s News Center quoted Burning Glass Institute President Matt Sigelman in their newsletter, where he said, “Colleges in and around New York City tend to function as channels for students to take internships and then full-time jobs at banks, private-equity shops, hedge funds or other financial firms.”