President Wu makes City and State Power list

John Cunniff | Wikimedia Commons

City & State released their 2023 Manhattan Power List and Baruch College’s S. David Wu made the list ranking in at No. 43.

President Wu has received much acknowledgement from City & State for his achievements. The political publication recognized Wu for spearheading two-year to four-year college pipelines.

President Wu was chosen to be one of the 10 Lifetime Achievement Honorees on their “50 Over 50 List.”

Separately, Wu made the “2023 Power of Diversity: Asian 100” for the fourth consecutive year, ranking at No. 24 on the list. Like his recent ranking in the Manhattan Power List, the publication described Wu as an advocate for providing quality education to marginalized communities.

Wu has also ranked No. 27 on the “Higher Education Power 100” list, with CUNY Chancellor Felix V. Matos Rodriguez ranked at No. 1 on the same list.

City & State writes that prominent figures in the city and state government reside outside of Manhattan for the first time in history.

City & State argues Manhattan’s significance in civic engagement, “Prominent city, state and federal lawmakers call Manhattan home, as do many of the most powerful titans of real estate, finance, business, health care, the arts and the nonprofit sector. Top national and international organizations are based in the borough.”

President Wu is ranked No. 43, making him the highest-ranked college president on the list, outranking Columbia University President Nemat “Minouche” Shafik ranked at No. 44 and New York University President Linda G. Mills ranked at No. 45.

Wu was acknowledged for his efforts to continue to diversify Baruch’s student body and expand Baruch’s network of professional and academic partnerships.

City & State writes “Baruch so far has pipeline partnerships for its business academy with Borough of Manhattan Community College, Queensborough Community College and LaGuardia Community College.”

The Entrepreneurship Program at Baruch’s Leadership Academy is also highlighted as one of President Wu’s accomplishments. This program assists 10th-12th grade students with bringing their business ideas to life through classroom lectures, workshops and field trips to various areas in New York City.

Baruch’s Leadership Academy connects these potential entrepreneurs to professionals to cultivate their business ideas and potentially turn them into reality. This program assists students with developing a business plan, understanding how credit works, understanding how to take out loans, marketing their businesses and having meetings with consultants.

Baruch also has their own Entrepreneurship Major under Zicklin’s Undergraduate Programs. This major prepares its students “to respond to new challenges as they arise by creating and implementing novel solutions to them.”

President Wu has also made efforts to improve diversity at Baruch by working with the Presidential Advisory Council on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion from 2020-2022 to implement new programs and policies that meet the needs of minority students.

Some notable policies Baruch has initiated are the Black Male Initiative, the Office of Diversity, The Coalition to Undo Racism at Baruch (CURB) and the SEEK Program.