Sabrina Ionescu makes 3pt contest history

John Mac | Wikimedia Commons

The 2023 WNBA All-Star Weekend was a thriller, and Sabrina Ionescu was the stand-out player of the game.

The New York Liberty Guard put on a show during the three-point contest that proved to be the best performance in three-point contest history. Ionescu scored 37 points in the event and only missed two out of 27 shots.

This is the best performance in both NBA and WNBA history. We’ve seen many stellar, high-scoring performances from NBA players like Devin Booker, Stephen Curry and Tyrese Haliburton.

Ionescu’s three-point contest victory got her a shoutout from the NBA’s all-time leader in three-point field goals made, Stephen Curry. Curry’s reaction to Ionescu’s performance was: “Ridiculous!”

After being crowned WNBA three-point champion, Sabrina Ionescu challenged Stephen Curry to a three-point contest, which Curry wholeheartedly accepted.

Ionescu’s scoring pursuit didn’t end at the three-point contest — she put up 18 points for Team Stewart in the WNBA All-Star Game. She knocked down all three of her attempts from four-point range in the first half.

Sabrina Ionescu will continue to lead the New York Liberty to bigger and better things. So far, Ionescu is averaging 16.4 Points on 39.7% from the three-point range along with 5.8 rebounds and 5.1 assists per game, through 16 games played.

The New York Liberty are standing at first place in the Eastern Conference with a record of 14-4. Currently, the Las Vegas Aces, who have a record of 19-2 in the Western Conference, is the only team with a better record

While Sabrina Ionescu has performed well all season, her new teammate Breanna Stewart has also been successful.

In just 18 games played, Stewart averaged 23.1 points, 9.8 rebounds, and 4.1 assists. She, like   Ionescu, had a strong game. Stewart, captain of Team Stewart, scored nine points in a 143-127 victory over Team A’ja Wilson.