“Planet Money” makes money talk entertaining

Joel Bautista | The Ticker

“Planet Money” is a podcast series covering topics about economics, business and culture. 

The podcast was launched by NPR in 2008, during the financial crisis. 

The podcast still continues to air today, reaching almost 1000 episodes, and it is hosted by Jacob Goldstein, Kenny Malone, Sarah Gonzalez and Karen Duffin. The episodes are usually around 15 to 20 minutes long.

“Planet Money” is does not discuss everyday financial decisions, but offers explanations to broader perspectives in economy, or “economy explained” in other words.

The episodes are well narrated and the tone is lighter for a specific purpose. “Planet Money” aims to make it feel like listeners are meeting with a friend at a bar and learning about economics from them, NPR’s website stated. 

The direction of the conversation, sound effects and the approach to the topics make potentially heavier conversations sound more interesting and fun.

“Planet Money” succeeds to explain the historical and economic context with interesting facts that make the episodes appealing to most audiences. 

In fact, the podcast does not only tackle economic issues, but it talks about political issues like what is currently happening between Hong Kong and China.

Recent episodes include detailed explanation of Martial Law, process of producing dollar bills, tracking down a fake-news creator, copyright comedy and Mexican drug cartels going into the oil business. 

“Planet Money” also releases content topics concerning the general public such as taxes, recycling, solar energy, unemployment and other general economic subjects.

The podcast offers episodes explaining a wide range of different topics from various fields. 

The topics are often interesting and unique, making the episode more appealing for audiences looking to learn more about diverse topics. 

However, it might not be the ideal podcast to listen to for those who hope to get everyday financial advice.

The creators of “Planet Money” also started “The Indicator”, a shorter podcast mostly about business and economy. 

The Indicator episodes air on weekday afternoons and they are ideal for those who are hoping to get fast updates. 

Both “Planet Money” and “The Indicator” have a rating of 4.5 out of 5 on Apple Podcasts, and were rated by more than 18,000 users.

In addition to the podcasts, “Planet Money” also offers a newsletter for users to sign up and get updates in email form.