Actor, singer and songwriter Abby Jim is not the stereotypical Baruch student

Photo Courtesy of Abigail Jim

In the midst of slow elevators and crowded hallways at Baruch College, sophomore Abigail Jim stands brave and determined. 

Jim, who grew up in the starlit melting pot of New York City, makes her way through life — and college — by diving deep into her passions of songwriting, singing and acting.

“I remember in kindergarten, they ask what you want to be when you grow up and I said actor, and you know every kid sometimes just says things,” Jim stated. 

“I really didn’t take myself seriously until high school, where I realized the creative side never really went away.”

At only 19 years old, the digital communications major is modest when she acknowledges the many feats she has under her belt, securing professional acting gigs from a young age.

“I did a lot of small gigs and then landed an Ikea commercial which went national, this was my first real job which got the ball rolling,” Jim said.

The young talent was first discovered at a Long Island singing competition, in which a photographer offered to take professional headshots of her.

Soon after, Jim was signed to her first agency, Prestige Management Inc., which further encouraged her to move in the direction of acting, but this didn’t stop her voice from making its mark. 

Jim also starred as a contestant on Spanish singing shows, including Univision’s La Banda as a season two contestant.

Her first project was the short film Golf, followed by the TV movie Wholly Broken

Jim’s love for acting and singing found its roots in her own little game she played as a child.

“I was an expert at playing pretend,” she laughs wholeheartedly.

“I would be in middle school trying to convince people I was this person or this, and my parents would ask me what I was doing.”

Choosing a school like Baruch was a smart decision for Jim, not only because of her love for the city, but because of her love for the hidden and explorative side of business.

“I believe creativity can only be truly successful if it has some kind of involvement in business and I just wanted to surround myself with that,” Jim said.

On campus, Jim plays an active role in the community — being a member of the Latin American Student Organization and even taking part in Cabaret, a Baruch musical production held last year.

Even though she finds herself constantly gearing her creative pursuits toward acting and singing, Jim often finds herself writing songs on train rides and singing them in her room. 

She believes that her love
for writing songs is where the deepest of her passions lie, and what most of her time is dedicated to. 

Everyone can stream Jim’s first single “Faked It.” on streaming service platforms such as YouTube, Spotify and Apple Music.

“Writing is kind of my main direction for creativity at the moment,” she said. 

“It’s ever changing but it doesn’t feel uncomfortable.”