Bearcats softball does well with CUNYAC All-Stars

CUNY+Athletics

CUNY Athletics

Dani Heba, Sports Editor

The Baruch College Bearcats softball team did well in the CUNY Athletic Conference All-Star selections this year, winning a number of awards and All-Star nominations.

Carly Quint, a freshman at Baruch and a pitcher and third baseman for the team, won the CUNYAC Player of the Year Award.

She led the CUNYAC in batting average, hitting an excellent .504, and had the most hits with 60 and RBIswith 62. Quint also went 10-6 as a pitcher for the team.

“I am so incredibly grateful to be able to add to the achievements of Baruch athletics this year,” Quint told CUNY Athletics. “Since we stepped foot in the gym in January to prepare for our season, I knew Baruch softball was capable of great things.”

Bearcats coach Nicole Bellini won the CUNYAC Coach of the Year award. In her first season as coach, she led the team to one of its winningest seasons in history. It is only the team’s third time ever passing 20 wins, and its first time passing the mark since 2010.

“It is an honor to receive the Softball Coach of the Year Award,” Bellini told CUNY Athletics. “Thank you to our athletics department for their support and guidance throughout my first season. I am incredibly thankful for my assistant coaches Nicole Flint and George St. Hilaire, and so very proud of our team, without all of whom this year’s achievements would not be possible!”

Julia Cuttone, a freshman at Baruch who plays pitcher, first base and outfield, was named to the CUNYAC sportsmanship team. Cuttone was also named to the All-Star team, boasting 50 total hits on the season, 28 RBIs and an excellent .403 batting average.

In addition to Cuttone, Megan Bell and Bridget Campanelli were also named to the All-Star team.

Bell, a freshman who plays both second base and outfield for the Bearcats, boasted 55 hits, 47 runs, 18 RBIs and a .440 batting average on the season.

Campanelli, a freshman who plays both catcher and first base, netted 45 hits, 35 runs, 31 RBIs and a .405 batting average on the season.

The Bearcats were scheduled to play the Lehman College Lightning on May 7, but the game was postponed and later canceled due to inclement weather.