Men’s tennis advances to CUNYAC finals


John Neves | Baruch Athletics

Dani Heba, Sports Editor

The Baruch College Bearcats men’s tennis team advanced to the CUNY Athletic Conference men’s tennis finals following a 5-0 sweep of the Lehman College Lightning on May 1 at the U.S. National Tennis Center in Flushing, New York.

It was a resounding win for the Bearcats, who swept the Lightning for the second time this season.

Christopher Tham and Abhinav Srivastava won the No. 1 doubles match 8-1. George Arteaga and Jim Bauer won the No. 2 doubles match 8-0, and Nicholas Santiago and Piers Seidman won the No. 3 doubles match 8-1 to give the Bearcats a 3-0 lead..

The Bearcats also dominated the singles matchups.. The No. 6 singles match ended with the Bearcats’ Hudson Kaylie sweeping Ray Rodriguez in two sets, winning each 6-0.

The No. 4 singles match ended with Santiago defeating the Lightning’s Kenneth Davis by the same margin.

The meet ended after Baruch secured their fifth point as per CUNYAC postseason rules.

The Bearcats are now on an eight-game winning streak. Earlier this week, they swept Ramapo College 9-0 in Mahwah, New Jersey.

In that game, Tham and Srivastava swept the No. 1 doubles match 8-0, while Santiago and Seidman did the same in the No. 3 doubles match. Bauer and Arteaga won the No. 2 doubles match 8-3.

The singles matches’ results in that game were not close either. The No. 1 singles match saw Tham win in two sets, 6-3 and 6-0, respectively. The No. 2 singles match saw Srivastava win in two sets as well, winning 6-0 and 6-3, respectively.

The No. 3 singles match saw Bauer win in two sets as well, winning 6-0 and 6-2, respectively. Santiago won in two as well, winning each of his sets 6-2.

The No. 5 singles match saw Arteaga win in two sets, winning them 6-0 and 6-1, respectively. Kaylie wrapped up the No. 6 singles match in two sets, winning 6-2 and 6-1, respectively.

The men will face the Hunter College Hawks for the CUNYAC championship on Thursday, May 5. In their regular-season matchup, the Bearcats dominated Hunter and won 8-1.