The slow emergence of COVID cases and how it could worsen

Dean Calma IAEA Imagebank | Wikimedia Commons

A heartbeat monitor is known for its sharp spike readings as it goes up and down and 2020 has been no different with several states witnessing spikes in coronavirus cases after six months of declining totals.

On Sep. 26, New York saw 1,000 new cases of COVID-19, surpassing all daily case counts since June. In Wisconsin, there were 2,817 new cases, making it the highest amount of daily cases in the state. In total, there have been over 7 million cases in the U.S. with 204,000 deaths.

Despite the uptick in totals in multiple states, some officials are not enforcing harsh restrictions. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has removed many restrictions imposed on restaurants and bars. Now working at full capacity, restaurant and bar owners gleefully responded to the change from the previously imposed restrictions saying “if it was too much longer, we wouldn’t be here.”

Florida has also suspended any penalties issued to those not abiding by COVID-19 restrictions, including wearing a mask. Florida Mayor Francis Suarez responded to DeSantis’ actions with a worrisome tone, stating that this could lead to a harder spike in coronavirus cases, according to an interview with CNN.

The worries continue as concerns of rushed vaccines become more widespread. Of the 38 vaccines being developed around the world, in the U.S. only six are at the human trials stage.

The accelerated effort to produce a vaccine is directly related to Operation Warp Speed, a plan introduced by the White House. Voters have seen this plan as more of a political move rather than one concerned with public health.

A poll revealed that many Americans believe Trump will rush the authorization of a vaccine before Election day to improve his ratings.

Infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci reassured the public that political interference is not a threat to the safety of a vaccine as he has seen the standard and sturdy processes the Food and Drug Administration has maintained during its lifetime.

Concerns surrounding the recent spike in COVID-19 cases have impacted several businesses and industries. While outside dining has been a feasible option for restaurants trying to run their businesses, the approaching fall and winter seasons will pose new risks.

It is unlikely people will bear through the cold while they dine, making outdoor dining less ideal for the upcoming months. Due to this, restaurant groups are pushing officials to decrease restrictions and permit indoor dining.

Almost all 50 states have had a reopening of some sort, according to an overview by the New York Times. California has re-opened gyms and casinos in some counties however many movie theaters still remain closed. New York has re-opened museums and bowling alleys and although the re-opening procedures seem strict at times, it’s important to maintain a level of caution and awareness with the rising number of cases.