Senate Meeting: USG discusses student services, clubs and organizations at weekly meeting

Special to The Ticker

Emanuela Gallo, Editor-in-Chief

At its meeting on Sept. 22, USG discussed the success of its online voter registration drive, where there were giveaways and special guests Baruch President S. David Wu, Assembly Member Yuh-Line Niou, NYC Voter Youth Engagement Coordinator Olivia Brandy and Baruch alumna and NYC Votes Ambassador Annmarie Gajdos.

Oct. 6 marked its fourth meeting of the semester.

Vice President of Student Affairs Yam-Yu Li reported on the information she and her team procured from over 10 student service offices at Baruch. They have worked on this project for the past few months.

The goal was to learn about the services, consider potential cohost events and relay this information to students with questions. This year, USG said it wishes to focus on students’ mental and social health, as well as their career needs.

She presented first about the Counseling Center, which provides free counseling services that are appointment based and confidential. A potential cohost event can feature Dialectical Behavior Therapy, or DBT, exercises, which are activities to practice during immediate experiences of suicidal thoughts.

Both cohost “Let’s Talk About It: Depression,” which will take place on Oct. 15 at 1 p.m.

The Health and Wellness Center will host a chair yoga session in partnership with USG on Oct. 22 at 5 p.m. called “Sit and Flow.”

Li also discussed potential cohost events with the International Student Service Center. One was coffee hours, which would provide the opportunity for international students to connect with others.

Another event would also be in collaboration with the Counseling Center to discuss cultural stigmas, homesickness and taboos.

With the STARR Career Development Center, Li brought up a possible skincare and makeup tutorial event for professional occasions.

USG recently cohosted “Prep Your Step” with STARR on Sept. 17 in preparation for the Career Fair. There were 97 attendees, showing great interest in these types of events from Baruch students.

Li also discussed information about and potential events with Study Abroad, the Writing Center, the Weissman of International Business Internship, SACC and more offices.

USG Treasurer Nancy Sea spoke next about reimbursements for various student clubs and organizations from the previous semester.

The amount of money depended on the number of vouchers used and what each club purchased with the money. USG members voted either for or against these reimbursements.

All motions were passed, resulting in the allocation of money for ASEDOM, Black Student Union, National Association of Black Accountants, Pakistani Student Association, Student Organization for Caribbean Appreciation, USG itself and the Vietnamese Student Association.

Joel De La Cruz and Alfonso Di Rocco, delegates for the University Student Senate, also discussed their intentions to hold a General Interest Meeting in the future to raise awareness about what USS does.

Chair of Finance Lesli Cuamani spoke next about the budget proposals of various clubs and organizations.

After understanding the breakdown of each proposal, USG members voted on whether or not to approve the budgets. Some of the clubs included the Ecuadorian Club, the College Entrepreneurial Organization, The Grill and the Trader’s Club.