TWICE delve into synth-pop and drum and bass on ‘WITH YOU-th”

Screenshot from ‘ONE SPARK’ music video | JYP Entertainment

The hit K-pop sensation TWICE is back! After a summer high of touring some of the largest stadiums in America and other international locations, the famed girl group has returned with a new EP, “With YOU-th,” released Feb. 23.  

Kicking off with “I GOT YOU,” the first track first dropped as a pre-release single on Feb. 2 with all English lyrics. Following 2021’s “The Feels” and  2023’s “Moonlight Sunrise,” this marks the group’s third English-language single, excluding songs re-released in English. 

“I GOT YOU” features songwriting by Daniel Seavey and Jonah Morais of the boy band Why Don’t We. Musically, the song contains synth-pop elements, with lyrics depicting the friendship and unity among the members. The music video reflects this message by showcasing TWICE and Why Don’t We members dancing, playing around on a beach, and traveling on a boat while facing harsh obstacles but persevering together. 

The lead single “ONE SPARK,” much like other title tracks from their past albums, features strong vocals from the group’s two lead singers, Nayeon and Jihyo. Keeping up with the poppy feel of the album, there is little to be left desired at the end of the song. Staying true to their colors TWICE delivers another catchy chorus that is impossible to get out of one’s head. 

Tracks four and six, “NEW NEW” and “YOU GET ME,” deliver more electro-dance pop and heavily consist of drum and bass. The latter was written by member Dahyun, who is not new to writing songs for the band and has written the most out of all the members.

“NEW NEW” takes after other TWICE songs and brings a bubbly, memorable chorus, while “YOU GET ME” is about enjoying life in the present moment and basking in the glow of youth. 

“RUSH,” written by member Chaeyoung, and “BLOOM,” written by member Jeongyeon, convey the band’s ability to delve into subgenres of pop while still providing the group’s signature flair. “BLOOM” primarily showcases the vocal prowess of the girls as well as groovy bass chords that lead to a chorus that packs a punch. “RUSH” features dream-like vocals that convey the desperation of a person in love simply trying to feel the rush. 

With its infectious synth-pop production and light lyricism, “With YOU-th” stays true to TWICE’s sound and happy-go-lucky core.