Letting ‘Argylle’s’ origins out of the bag

Screenshot from Argylle trailer | Universal Pictures

Director Matthew Vaughn’s “Argylle” is an action thriller that certainly received mixed reviews, but after taking in all the film’s unseen attributes, opinions on it have developed. 

The movie is based on a book published under the name Elly Conway. It was published just days before the movie’s release. 

Initially, Conway’s identity was unknown; before “Argylle,” their only social media presence consisted of photos of different bookstores in New York City. The film’s prominence forced this anonymous writer to start using social media more for visibility, according to a social media post published by the supposed Conway.

It was later revealed that the pen name belonged to Terry Hayes and Tammy Cohen, two psychological thriller writers brought on by Vaughn to write the novel. 

For those who haven’t seen the trailer, the movie’s plot follows an author unaware that her books reflect the reality of a real-life agency. 

The movie features some of the struggles many writers face while working on a piece, like dissatisfaction with a piece after rereading it and the frustration that comes with breaking out of a focused writing session.

“Argylle” quickly travels to various parts of the world; each location features beautiful scenic backgrounds and many great transitions, especially when switching from character to author. 

When composing the music for the movie, Vaughn worked with Giles Martin, the son of Beatles producer George Martin, who gave Vaughn access to a rare, never-released Beatles song. Vaughn said it was an honor and a privilege to use the song in the film. 

Overall, “Argylle” seems to start as a movie about writers meeting their characters. However, as the movie progresses, it is filled with twists within twists that keep viewers on the edge of their seats. It leaves one thinking they know the next twist, only to be hit with a crazier reveal. 

This is not a movie rooted in reality. “Argylle” is entertaining chaos that wouldn’t work in real life, but it is damn amazing to watch. The film intentionally leaves viewers confused. In an interview, Vaughn said he would surely include scenes that would leave the audience completely lost.

“Argylle” is not a film viewers should expect to be a great watch, but it is a movie that leaves the audience’s eyes wide open. It’s full of music, color and a little bit of romance. 

Be sure to stay until the end, or else you will miss the film’s post-credit scene, leaving viewers with questions. Prepare to expect the unexpected and face an even more unexpected conclusion.