Usher delivers memorable Super Bowl halftime show, revisits hits with iconic guests

Marco | Flickr
Marco | Flickr

From break dancing on foot to rolling on wheels, Usher brought the house down at the Apple Music Super Bowl LVIII halftime show in Las Vegas on Feb. 11, giving audience members and spectators at home an unforgettable experience.

Dressed in flashy feathery outfits, Usher and his backup dancers opened the performance with “Caught Up.” While the focus remained on Usher and his smooth moves, the camera panning occasionally allowed backup dancers to stylishly steal the spotlight. The choreography was circus-like; dancers moved up in the air with synchronicity.

After performing “Superstar” and “Love In This Club,” Alicia Keys appeared in a red, bedazzled jumpsuit. She harmonized with Usher to sing “If I Ain’t Got You” and “My Boo.”
The R&B singer followed Keys down the aisle with smooth footwork, closing the distance between them as he caressed her.

The next part of Usher’s set featured numerous visual effects, like a fiery clock projection setting the time as Usher sang, “At seven o’clock.” White ripples moved in synch with the brass instruments, adding to the appeal Usher sets up. From “Confessions” to “U Got It Bad,” he tore off his sparkly white tank top to reveal his sweat-glistened chest, causing tension in the atmosphere.

While running off for a costume change, guest artist H.E.R. took over the stage and played her song “Bad Girl” with an electric guitar, introducing numerous dancers effortlessly gliding and strutting on skates.

In contrast to Usher’s 2011 Super Bowl debut performance with Black Eyed Peas, this year’s stage featured a diverse collection of action. Just when things seem like they can’t get any better, Usher’s roller-skate performance of “O.M.G.” featuring Will.i.am resolved into Lil Jon’s “Turn Down for What.”

Usher’s set used visuals and stunts to create a sense of nostalgia for the early 2000s and 2010s. His 2004 club hit “Yeah” closed the set. Throughout the performance, he highlighted the skills that made him a pop and R&B icon.

A behind-the-scenes documentary capturing the events leading up to the halftime show is expected to be released in the future.

“You get a chance to see from the first moment that I got the call all the way up to the moment that I walk off the stage, at least that’s the idea,” Usher said in an interview with Apple Music.

Fans can also check out Usher’s new album “Coming Home,” released on Feb.11.