Ty Segall’s ‘Three Bells’ is a sonic slap in the face — in the best way possible

Screenshot from My Room music video | Drag City Records

Veteran garage rocker Ty Segall’s latest album, “Three Bells,” can only be described as a cacophony of genres and styles clambering for the top spot. This is not a bad thing.

Segall is known for his genre-defying sound, and his extensive discography ranges from garage rock to psychedelic ambiance, from indie-alternative to folk, and back again to garage. 

Looking at his recent endeavors, however, a clear pattern emerges. “Three Bells” is an amalgamation of all the sounds of Segall’s previous three works, those being 2021’s “Harmonizer,” the 2022 documentary soundtrack “Whirlybird,” as well as “Hello, Hi,” released the same year. The latter project’s softer vocals remain, this time mixed with the dreamy orchestration of “Whirlybird” as well as the in-your-face distortion of “Harmonizer.”

All of these attributes culminate into one of Segall’s most sonically cohesive releases yet. The contemporary Beatles-esque vocals paired with a garage sound, rounded out by a dizzyingly dissonant psychedelic lead guitar, combine to form an extremely unique listening experience that keeps the listener on their toes. Seemingly disjointed rhythms with smooth and brash instrumentals perfectly find their home on tracks such as “Hi Dee Dee” and “Eggman,” with distorted, nearly out-of-key lead guitar towering over a relatively standard garage rock progression. 

Segall slows things down at times, especially in tracks like “What Can We Do” and “Denée.” In these sections, Segall relies on ambient synths and mellow sixties-style bass tones, creating a dreamy atmosphere that offers a reprieve from the intensity of the other tracks. These slow jams revert very quickly- often during the same track- back to the high-energy, rapid-fire instrumentals that comprise the majority of the album.

Themes of isolation and the difficulty of starting something new are found while sifting through the musical melting pot that is “Three Bells.” Tracks such as “Void” are about pushing oneself to leave the confines of the mind to experience the real world. 

These themes are furthered throughout the album, with “Reflections,” “Watcher” and “My Room” all weaving the tale of a person watching life pass them by as they feel they can do little to stop it. The at-times eerie and ethereal synths layered in the mix do a fantastic job of furthering the feelings of hopeless lanquidity, allowing the listener to sink into the folds of each song, with seemingly endless sounds and textures to explore. 

Of course, Segall also leaves room for some fun on “Three Bells.” “My Best Friend” explores his simple yet pure-as-can-be relationship with his two dogs, with lyrics like “My best friend is easy/He is laying on my bed/ He said ‘I love you, Oh yes I do.” 

Other songs, such as the mind-numbing and aptly named “Repetition,” lull the listener into a false sense of security. The track’s twitchy main riff combines with Segall droningly repeating two words as a reversed synth and overdriven guitar soar overhead. Don’t get too comfortable, though, as the end of the song brings a seamless transition back into the wonderfully disorienting commotion that defines the album.

Altogether, “Three Bells” is as delightful as it is challenging to listen to. The album asks the listener to sit up and pay attention, as to really absorb every far-reaching aspect of the piece. 

While the LP’s in-your-face style might be a lot to handle at times, the high octane, boundless energy is infectious, and the reward for a thorough listen is more than worth it.  Ty Segall’s “Three Bells” delivers a well-rounded sonic experience that is sure to please the ears.