New York business group plans to raise $1 million against climate policies  

Roberto Vivancos | Pexels

Many businesses are working together to fight against environmental laws, claiming that the regulations would adversely affect businesses.

The Business Council of New York claimed their campaign calls for political leaders to reassess how climate laws are structured. The state must evaluate how the transition to clean energy can create financial concerns for businesses and consumers.

They plan to raise more than $1 million by October, but they are already spending money on radio and digital ads to “highlight the unintended consequences of climate policies.”

New York rolled out the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act in 2019. This act aims to reduce carbon emissions from buildings by reducing emissions by 40% by 2030 and 85% by 2050.

These laws, according to businesses, are burdensome. The transition from fossil fuels can financially harm enterprises if it’s done at a swift pace where they need more time to adjust appropriately.

The act was established to protect the state’s natural resources. Its focus is improving New Yorkers’ quality of life at home, work and public spaces, as well as protecting the environment through preserving green spaces.

Additionally, it will ensure equity and inclusion in disadvantaged communities disproportionately affected by pollution.

Its fourth focus is expanding economic prospects by creating green jobs and establishing sustainability goals that businesses and organizations must adhere to. The law pushes businesses to sell environmentally responsible products and improve their facilities with the most advanced clean energy technologies.

Businesses can achieve essential carbon reduction targets, cut overhead expenses, develop safer working environments and boost workforce training in exchange for adhering to the act’s guidelines.

Furthermore, New York City will implement a building emissions law that will decarbonize buildings to push the city to be carbon-neutral. It will go into effect in 2024. Large buildings with a gross floor area of more than 25,000 square feet will be required to fulfill greenhouse gas emissions targets or face fines.

These climate laws ensure that New York continues fulfilling its climate targets by redefining how businesses conduct their operations.

While business groups believe that the environmentally friendly initiatives are essential to prioritize, the speedy process could be more efficient for them.

Additionally, businesses argue that anti-pollution climate laws are costly to consumers, too, according to the New York Post. Families will have to pay more for products in addition to the city’s high inflation rates, and the price increase will threaten the economy.

“Let’s be clear: It is essential to push a green economy”, one of the business group leaders said.

“It is also essential to make sure we can reach our environmental and clean energy goals without severely damaging New York’s families and businesses as well as jeopardizing the reliability of New York’s energy infrastructure,” she added.