Jets fans need to believe in Zach Wilson

Zach Wilson Jets -Falcons 2021 | wikimedia commons

The New York Jets opened the season on Monday Night Football with a thrilling 19-13 comeback win over division rival Buffalo Bills. Rookie Xavier Gipson ran back an incredible 65-yard punt return for a walk off winner in overtime.

However, the win came with a price as Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers tore his Achilles. With this setback, it’s time for the Jets to optimize their other star players, such as Zach Wilson.

With Rodgers now out for the remainder of the season, Jets head coach Robert Saleh turned to the 2021 Jets second overall pick Zach Wilson to lead the team. The chance to prove himself was not lost on the young athlete. Wilson did not buckle under pressure and helped lead the Jets to victory against a super bowl contender.

Although he has had his struggles, Wilson has proven that he can help the Jets secure a playoff spot. Even with the hype surrounding the signing of the soon-to-be hall of famer Rodgers, Wilson has helped the team when needed.

Once Rodgers went down, speculation arose almost immediately, quarterback names flying all over the place. Colin Kaepernick, Carson Wentz, or even the already retired Tom Brady were some of the speculative contenders.

But the Jets need Zach Wilson, who has worked all preseason with this Rodgers-built offense. During his preseason snaps, Wilson looked like a changed man with Rodgers on the headset.

Wilson’s dedication, partnered with his work with Rodgers, makes him a safe choice for the Jets.

However, many remain skeptical about Wilson’s playing ability under severe pressure and expectations, feeling that the young man is unable to fit Rodgers’ shoes. It won’t be easy to live up to the standard Rodgers set for his team, and Wilson needs to be cautious not to cave under the pressure.

Wilson was drafted to help turn the franchise around, and with the rallying support of fans, many are confident he will prove himself to be the right choice.

With a strong defense, led by 2022 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Sauce Gardner, the Jets have one of the best defenses in the entire NFL. 2022 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard, Breece Hall and Dalvin Cook are other key figures that help complete this versatile and explosive roster.

Despite Rodgers’ unfortunate injury and absence from this season, Jets fans should remain optimistic. If the strong players remaining on the roster can come together and withstand the added pressure Rodgers’ absence creates, the Jets can still have a great season and potentially make the playoffs.

Fans look forward to future games, where strong team collaboration should bring further victories for the New York team.