Spring 2023 guide to business programs and services at Baruch

Special to The Ticker

Caryl Anne Francia, Business Editor

A new semester at Baruch College starts with students finding new opportunities to break into the world of business.

To support this transition, The Ticker compiled a list of some resources that students may use to advance their pursuit of careers and ventures. Students may explore these programs and services — which are all accessible on campus through the college’s centers — and take advantage of upcoming opportunities in February.

The Field Center for Entrepreneurship | Newman Vertical Campus 2-140

The Lawrence N. Field Center for Entrepreneurship offers programs and services to help students develop their ideas to launch their businesses. All applications for the Field Center’s grant programs and upcoming competitions may be found on its StartupTree page.

The Blackstone LaunchPad initiative will accept applications through StartupTree for side hustle microgrants until May 1. Campus Director Christopher Meyer added that the College Entrepreneurial Organization, which is also based in the Field Center, will host a pitch competition with “some nice prize money” from the Blackstone LaunchPad initiative this semester.

Environmentally conscious students who love fashion and want to make it sustainable may compete for the Hult Prize, which will hold a qualifying round at the Field Center. Students must apply by Feb. 25 to participate.

Artistically inclined students may also submit ideas for the center’s second “Essence of Entrepreneurship” mural design competition, which comes with a cash prize. Students must submit their designs by March 13.

The center will hold three more seminars from its “Entrepreneurial Lunch & Learn” series. While the Feb. 8 and March 22 sessions will be virtual, the April 26 session will be in person.

Additionally, the Field Center will host The Past Perfect as the inaugural venture of its student-run pop-up program on Feb. 8 from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

CUNY Startups | Newman Vertical Campus 2-140

Based in the Field Center, CUNY Startups serves current students and alumni from all 25 schools within the university’s system.

Through “outreach to traditionally marginalized groups,” the program prepares students from diverse cultural backgrounds to “propel their careers” through mentorship and training, according to Assistant Director Adia Johnson.

CUNY Startups holds its two-part “New Venture Accelerator” program during the academic year. The first part in the fall semester puts students in teams to come up with and develop their own ventures. The second part in the spring semester advances student teams into launching their ventures.

While the second part is underway, the program will launch applications for the fall 2023 semester on April 1.

CUNY Startups will also host its second annual CUNY Clash tournament, a three-round pitching competition with a cash prize of up to $20,000 for finalists. Emphasizing innovation, the contest welcomes ideas that are new or improve on ones that exist, with the intent of solving a unique problem.

The program will accept applications for the “ultimate creative battlefield” until Feb. 28.

“We urge you to challenge the status quo, meet new people and work towards a common goal,” Johnson told The Ticker. “Bring your ideas and make new ones!”

Starr Career Development Center | Newman Vertical Campus 2-150

The Starr Career Development Center invites students to discover their career paths and find employment opportunities through its workshops, events and services.

The center will hold an online job and internship fair on Feb. 10. Students may register for its Feb. 9 career fair prep workshop, in which the Starr Center staff and a Bank of America Corp. recruiter will go over tips and expectations at the fair.

The Starr Center will also hold its virtual “Diversity Career Expo” on Feb. 28, highlighting the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace.

As Administrative Events Coordinator Karima Gil-Stone told The Ticker, addressing all of the center’s upcoming events, programs and services may take up multiple pages. However, students are encouraged to check out the center’s Linktree page on its social media accounts plus sign up for its weekly newsletter to access more information.

Students can register for Starr Center-hosted events and workshops through Handshake, a career services platform.

“As a result, students can acquire the tools and the confidence to independently engage in lifelong professional development and career management in a diverse and global workforce,” the center says on its website.

Weissman Center for International Business | E 25th Street Annex Building, Eighth Floor

The Weissman Center for International Business offers programs and events to students who want to tie together international education with their business studies.

Administrative Specialist Ruth Gascot added that the center fosters “a productive exchange of ideas, experiences and resources” within the Baruch community by “teaching with an international perspective.”

With the Field Center, the Weissman Center will accept applications for the Entrepreneurial Fellowship Program until Feb. 27. Students working any unpaid internships with a startup will have the opportunity to receive a fellowship stipend.

In partnership with the Mitsui USA Foundation, the center hosts discussions with business leaders in its “Lunch Time Forum” panel series. It will welcome Seth Besmertnik, the CEO of the technology company Conductor, in its next installment on Feb. 14 from 12:30 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. at the Newman Conference Center.

Home to Baruch’s study abroad office, the Weissman Center will hold an in-person study abroad fair on Feb. 16 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Students may receive information on international exchange programs and the application process in the Newman Vertical Campus gym.

Editor’s Note: The print version of this article incorrectly refers to the Starr Career Development Center as the “Starr Center of Career Development” in a subheading. Additionally, the time of the Field Center’s pop-up event was updated after The Ticker closed print production. The event will begin at 11 a.m. instead of 10 a.m.