Farewell Letter: The people make The Ticker

Courtesy of Arianne Gonzalez

Arianne Gonzalez, Arts & Culture Editor

It took me a few tries to write this letter as I have never been good at goodbyes. But, as with any article that has undergone revisions, I persisted.

It is with the most gratitude and love that I must regretfully say goodbye as The Ticker’s arts and culture editor. As I graduate this semester with my bachelor’s in journalism and a minor in film studies, I have appreciated every second of being a part of Baruch’s student-run newspaper. It has been both a challenge and a privilege, but it has been a time in my college career that I will truly cherish and take pride in.

It is incredible how things work out. I almost never would have joined the newspaper in the first place during my freshman year had it not been for a friend who became that year’s opinions editor. Admittedly, I was afraid and had my doubts — like any burgeoning young writer — whether I was good enough to join. I was scared that I was not ready, not yet proving my mettle as a student journalist and having only taken a single introductory course to date.

But, with some nudging from my friend, I started writing for the paper. I slowly grasped my way to writing opinion articles, and with guidance from the editors, I kept writing. Eventually, the opportunity to serve as a copy editor presented itself and I took it. I was not alone in this journey, even though everything was entirely remote during the COVID-19 pandemic, as the copy chief and fellow copy editors helped guide me through the process of learning and following AP style.

Eventually, the opportunity to become arts editor arose and again, that same sense of fear overcame me. What if I was not ready? But with some more nudging from the editor-in-chief at the time, I rose to the challenge.

Being at The Ticker tests so much of you, as a student journalist, editor and human. There were times when balancing edits with school, work and life were challenging, but it is the people on the team who make it worth it.

What I love most about The Ticker are the people in it — they will nudge and push you to become the best journalist, student and person you can be. And even if you feel like you are not ready for the challenge, someone from the team will come along and help you rise to it and guide you along the way.

It has been an absolute joy working with these people the past two years to produce an independently run student-paper week after week. To the Ticker team, I am forever grateful for each and every one of you. We have gone through so much laughter, confusion, hard work and all around merriment that made my time at Baruch that much better. I will miss you all dearly, and I hope you continue to uphold our mission of producing an independently run paper week after week.

To the writers, thank you for your continued participation in the arts and culture section. There may have been times when I was not the most communicative editor, but your patience has been truly appreciated. I am incredibly proud of the work we have done as a section and hope that you continue to contribute to not just the arts and culture section, but to all other sections at The Ticker.

I am truly grateful for my time at Baruch and at The Ticker, and I know I will remember these times with fondness and appreciation. I am excited for what has yet to come, for both myself and The Ticker, and all I ask is that you continue to support and read the work of our student journalists.

Go Bearcats!