USG Report: First ever “Talk About It” session held on generational trauma

Courtesy of Osvaldo Garcia

Osvaldo Garcia

Hello Bearcats and welcome back!

November is usually a very busy time, punctuated by midterms, final exams and presentations.

The Undergraduate Student Government hopes all students enjoyed their holiday break and managed to spend time with friends and family.

USG is excited to announce a few initiatives happening this upcoming week.

Rep. Senators Karina Ordonez and Dani Kitaygordodskiy collaborated with the Counseling Center and the Office of Student Life to form a group “Talk About It” session.

The session was conducted in two parts. The first part took place at 1 p.m. on Nov. 29.

The second part was also at 1 p.m. on Dec. 1. Both events were held in room 2-125 in the Newman Vertical Campus.

During the sessions, moderators lead a discussion on generational trauma within their families and how to end the cycle.

There was also a focus on the cultural stigmas surrounding mental health and counseling services, as well as how to challenge these stigmas.

There was a presentation conducted by the Counseling Center and an activity from the OSL. USG representatives moderated the activity.

Students who grew up in immigrant households were encouraged to join since the sessions focus heavily on immigrant family dynamics.

But all students were welcomed to attend and speak about their experiences with generational trauma within their families and how they are challenging and/or overcoming it.

USG intends for this session to help build community on campus and help us understand one another better as fellow Bearcats.

Pizza and donuts were available at the first session, while tea and cookies were served at the second session.

On another note, Rep. Senator Adriana Cuca will be hosting a World Cup watch party in the USG conference room.

The World Cup is a sports competition watched by millions of people across the globe and attended by a number of countries.

USG hopes the watch party will facilitate community-building on campus.

Chair of Clubs and Organizations Jessica Yauri has sent out Bernie forms to all club leaders on campus.

“The Bernies” is an award ceremony to celebrate USG’s dedication to keeping student life active on campus.

Make sure to fill out the Bernie forms to nominate your favorite club event on campus. Until next time Bearcats!