Out of 98 first-years sampled, only 56 students read the required reading

Courtesy of Baruch Admissions

Courtesy of Baruch Admissions

Amanda Salazar, Editor-in-Chief

Another 42 sampled first-years admitted to not reading the book. The remaining two surveys were unable to be found at the time of counting. It is important to remember, however, that this survey was not exhaustive and does not reflect the numbers of the entire class.

A second Ticker survey, this one an online Google Forms survey, was published with the intent of collecting responses from students to two questions: why they chose to either read or not read the
book, and what their opinions of the novel were.

The overall consensus among students who read the book was that they did so because it was required.

“I read it because a) had to, b) as it turns out quite interesting and informative,” first-year Tshetrim Lhendup said.

However, a few first-years shared their reasoning for not reading it.

“It was summer, so I decided to enjoy my time before a stressful school year,” Tina Sengal said.

Many students who took the survey indicated that they liked the novel, for some the reason being that they related to it personally.

“It was enjoyable as it was quite easy to relate to it as my parents are also immigrants,” said student Jason Lin.

“The expectations placed on me as a child of an immigrant was quite similar to the book as I was also pushed to do the best that I can.”

On the other hand, some students had some trouble relating to Sharma’s story.

“I enjoyed the book, wasn’t that relatable but I still felt that I could’ve connected with the author,” Christopher Alvarez said. “Seeing the author in person was nice and he did give out a great speech as well.”

Other students, though, did not enjoy the book, like incoming first-year Oleksandra Kurbanova.

“Book for disappointing (sic). Main character just kept talking about his own struggle without getting to any sort of reallocation or growth,” she said.

“Author was absolutely irrelevant, with his speech consisting of one chapter of his book (what’s the point of the speech if we supposedly already read it). He seemed extremely arrogant and [then] he compares himself to Hemingway is laughable.”

While some students really liked the reading and some didn’t, there were others who were a little more lukewarm about it, not loving it but also not hating it.

“It was alright, but pretty typical for a school text,” said Kyle Richards. “Wasn’t revolutionary or eye-opening or anything of the sort. The author sort of just repeated a lot of stuff from the book, but he was enjoyable nonetheless.”