Baruch in Concert performs in Clivner=Field Plaza

Courtesy of Professor Elizabeth Wollman

Ma-Nogoy Faye, Business Manager

The Baruch in Concert series held its semesterly production on Oct. 27 at the Clivner=Field Plaza. The event featured a variety of student performances from the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences, the Zicklin School of Business and the Marxe School of International and Public Affairs.

During the pandemic, the concert series was virtual and returned for the first time in person last spring. Both undergraduate and graduate students were welcome to perform, and many performers this year hailed from music clubs like Blue Notes and Lexington Music.

The performances ranged from a variety of musical styles and genres, including a piano performance of “Clair de la Lune” and a pop mash up-performance of 5SOS’ “Try Hard,” Blink-182’s “All the Small Things” and One Direction’s “Steal My Girl.” Full performance roster below:

1 Jamel Coy Hudson
2 Adi Har-Shemesh – sang and played guitar (“Love”)
3 Alexander de la Rosa – Performing as NOAN
4 Zaki Asam – John Mayer Mash-up
5 Vaishnavi Vijayakrishnan – sang “Paper Hearts”
6 Agnes Chen – piano solo, “My Lady Carey’s Dompe”
7 Panagis Mikelatos – Guitar Shredding
8 Daniel Aguilar – piano solo, Clair de Lune
9 Ursula Hansberry – original composition, “Last Time”
10 Rafael Soto Trio (2 guitars and cajón perfomer)
11 Yuna Kwon Group: Ryan Alwi – piano, Jayne Dolinsky – vocal, Leonardo Valdivia – viola, and Yuna Kwon – vocal and guitar

Ursula Hansberry, one of the performers at the event, said the diverse lineup is a key component of the concert.

“I’d say the best part of every Baruch in Concert is that semester after semester you get such a variety of performances and genres, and everyone listening and performing is open and supportive of all of it,” she said.

“I think the event was a ton of fun!” performer Alexander De La Rosa, also known as NOAN, said.  I haven’t gotten many opportunities in the past to perform music, especially my own, so being given that opportunity to do that was great.”

Despite some technical difficulties during the concert, De La Rosa said he viewed the concert as a success.

“I don’t think that took away from people’s enjoyment at all,” he said. “Music is a huge part of my life, so being able to participate in something that allowed me to share that passion [with] others is all I can really ask for.”

The performing trio Rafael Soto, Ryan Herrera and Noah Tobing told The Ticker that they valued the opportunity to experience performing as a band.

“We think that the event was extremely beneficial for us as students to showcase our talents and build our confidence,” they said. “We recently just formed our band so to be quite honest we’re still short of experience however we feel very joyful and comfortable whenever we go up to that stage together. We hope that these kinds of events will continue to happen and also hope that this would encourage other students to perform as well.”

Baruch in Concert returns this spring. If students want more information about the performance or if they would like to perform they can contact Abby.Anderton@baruch.cuny.edu.