It’s about who you know: How to grow and maintain a professional network

Julian Tineo | The Ticker

It is a common saying, that it isn’t about what you know, but who you know when it comes to job interviews and professional careers. 

Networking is challenging, and most importantly, it is an ongoing process. Here are some tips might help if you’re trying to land your dream role 

Be genuine to everyone – What make the difference in a conversation is the conversation’s genuineness and the interest an individual might take to learn about the other person. 

It is crucial to learn about the people around you and their interests, even if they might not seem beneficial at the time. 

Dismissing people or conversations is never a good idea, because every individual has had unique experiences and can share advice that might prove fruitful to you in the future. 

Talk to everyone, young or old, in or outside the field because you never know who they know and how they might be able to help you out. 

LinkedIn Having a up to date LinkedIn account is crucial for networking. 

Reach out to people  reach out to people you don’t know, participate in discussions and make connections with people that are at the companies and roles you want to work for. Reach out to someone in the field, whether it be an entry level analyst or a senior managing director. 

One way to start is by simply reaching out and saying, “I am impressed by your journey. How do I get to where you are?” 

Because you are taking action, it will show your interest, you will grow your network and you just might end up with an interview. 

Also, join the conversation on LinkedIn — recruiters, successful hires, and rejects are always posting jobs, advice and articles. Read them, learn from them and put them to use. 

Giving It is the most crucial aspect of networking. After all, networking at its core is a two-way street. You must return the help you received. Relay the advice people have given you, connect people you know. Share your experience and help people who might need it. 

Don’t look for favors returned, don’t do something just because you want good karma to come your way; simply go out there to give help, and good karma will come your way anyway. 

Networking is not something that is done for weeks or months. The process does not stop until one gets the job. It’s a lifestyle. 

The benefits won’t be immediate. The job offers and interviews won’t be lined up outside the door immediately. 

But eventually, there will be more connections to inform and help you out with upcoming opportunities.