USG Report: United Nations visits Baruch

Courtesy of Osvaldo Garcia

Osvaldo Garcia

Happy Autumn Bearcats!

The Undergraduate Student Government hopes everyone is enjoying sweater-weather season and taking time for themselves as midterm season kicks off.

In the previous two weeks, USG has been advocating for the needs of both students and citizens of New York City.

Recently, the United Nations Development Programme visited Baruch college to discuss issues regarding climate change and how students could become engaged in climate crisis activism.

USG representatives voiced their concerns about environmentalism’s lack of inclusive and intersectional representation, especially with climate change affecting the Global South and Caribbean islands.

Some examples include the flooding in Pakistan and Hurricane Fiona in Puerto Rico, both of which USG will be leading a fundraiser for in collaboration with other student organizations on campus.

The United Nations will take the data, concerns, questions and more and consolidate with the People’s Climate Vote to push global representatives to act against climate change.

The Appreciative Inquiry Summit, led by President Wu, was also attended by USG representatives.

The A.I. Summit was a community meeting centered around deciding Baruch’s “Strategic Goals” for the next five years, or essentially creating a comprehensive blueprint for the school’s future.

Provost Essig, President Wu, and most, if not all, of Baruch department chairs, staff and faculty were in attendance.

During the summit, USG representatives discussed the issues of overcrowding of campus facilities, lack of funding for departments, the need for more community spaces for clubs and organizations to host events, a need for more diversity in our institution, better support for the Marxe and Weissman schools, and much more.

Staff and faculty also advocated for student needs and initiatives.

The Baruch Strategic Planning Committee will be hosting more sessions for students to voice their concerns throughout the rest of the semester.

It is crucial to have student representation at these meetings to make sure the voices of the student body are being heard.

While USG has been hard at work advocating, representatives are also planning for the annual Homecoming celebration.

Vice President of Campus Affairs Karen Guanga is spearheading the homecoming events for this semester.

There will be giveaways, food, merchandise and much more planned for this year.

The most important event will be the Fall Festival, which USG will host alongside President Wu.

There will be fun games, music and entertainment for everyone to enjoy.

Until next time Bearcats!