UNICEF highlights global outreach

Julian Tineo | The Ticker

UNICEF at Baruch held its annual showcase at Baruch College’s Bearcat Den on May 8 to celebrate the work that UNICEF does around the world. 

Members of the club displayed posters around the den that explained how UNICEF — which stands for the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund — helps people around the world.

The posters highlighted the crises in Yemen and Syria, countries raged by war which have caused immense hunger and evacuation of millions of children. 

More information was displayed about the Migrant Caravan crisis, an epidemic happening in our own country, in which people make an extremely strenuous journey from Latin America to the U.S. border. 

UNICEF is working with the U.S. government to find alternatives to incarcerating or separating children and the organization provides food and care to people throughout their treacherous travels. 

The wars in Syria and Yemen have been occurring for several years now and the club wanted to make sure to include newer problems such as the migrant caravans and the separation of children. 

Other posters also discussed atrocities happening to young girls, such as sex trafficking in Europe.

Italian food from the restaurant Patrizia’s of Manhattan was served, but guests had to play trivia games before they could grab a free meal. Each game showed different aspects of UNICEF. 

A mix and match game explained the 17 sustainable development goals, including no poverty, zero hunger and good health and well-being for people across the globe. 

A trivia game went into more detail about which countries are dealing with certain crises.

Karina Chiqui, a freshman at Baruch, heard about the showcase through a friend and said she learned more about current events and UNICEF. 

“I was actually surprised because I didn’t know them, and I didn’t know who was affected by what, so it really opened my eyes to see the problems going on
and what we should do to help,” Chiqui said after playing the trivia game.

“I like the information they put out and how willing they were to teach people about it.” 

Polaroids were also handed out to guests that wanted their picture taken in front of the den’s mural. 

The mural is a colorful painting of monuments, skyscrapers and a few wonders of the world, making this a fitting backdrop for the event. 

Additionally, black henna was done by two of the club members on guests. UNICEF at Baruch has become a place for students to branch out regardless of what they are studying.

Jesselle Ramirez, the assistant treasurer, said she joined the club with a friend. 

“We wanted to do something different. We’re both business majors, but we’re also interested in nonprofits,” the sophomore said.

Ramirez also discussed the purpose of the showcase, stating the club wanted to show why they fundraise, where the money goes and how it helps.  

“It’s really meant to build awareness about what UNICEF is and what they do,” said Ramirez.

This was UNICEF at Baruch’s last event of the school year. Their induction ceremony took place the following night.