Most common resume issues you should avoid

Amanda Salazar, Editor-in-Chief

In a school like Baruch where over three-fourths of students graduate with a job or a spot in graduate school, the word “resume” gets thrown around a lot.

However, students who do not visit Baruch College’s Starr Career Development Center, or don’t heed the center’s advice, may be submitting their resumes to potential employers with some fatal flaws that will land their applications in the trash.

The most common and detrimental mistake a person could make on their resume, according to an article from TopResume.com, is leaving in grammatical and spelling errors that could have easily been edited out.

These types of errors can lead to employers questioning an applicant’s intelligence, literacy or competency. The thinking is that if you truly want this job, then you’d spend the time to proofread it for simple mistakes.

Another frequent error that job applicants make is including incorrect contact information on their resumes.

Whether it’s a wrong phone number, outdated email or misspelled LinkedIn link, inaccurate contact information will make it difficult if not impossible for employers to reach you.

Additionally, having wrong contact information on your resume can give hirers the impression that you are either reusing an old resume or just didn’t care enough to read it over before sending it in, according to an article from Design Group Staffing. Always make sure your resume is fully updated with all the correct information.

This is yet another prevalent mistake in resume-writing — writing so general, it seems like the resume is being reused from a past application.

“One-size-fits-all” resumes are not impressive to employers.

An article from Monster.com, a career search website that helps users create resumes, states, “Employers want you to write a resume specifically for them. They expect you to clearly show how and why you fit the position in a specific organization.”

Hirers do not want to see generality; they want specific, quantifiable results you brought about in your previous jobs, and how hiring you would benefit their company.

This is why your resume should be more results-oriented as opposed to duty-oriented. Employers do not fully focus on what your position responsibilities were, but instead how you took initiative or implemented out-of-the-box ideas, the TopResume article states.

Going along with this, it’s important to use the best fit verbs to describe your previous experiences, words that will enhance the employer’s mental image of you in your former job.

Words like “resolved” and “supervised” will be more interesting to your resume’s reader.

Overall, most of these mistakes can be easily avoided or corrected if students proof-read their resumes before attaching them to job applications; even better, students should have their resumes looked at by a peer or career adviser to make sure their resume is as spot on as it can be.