Working remotely inspires millennial drive for purpose, meaning and growth

chensiyuan | wikimedia commons

Telecommuting came to change the workplace environment and is here to stay. However, there are concerns about work-life balance and employee engagement while working away from the office. As telecommuting transforms the workplace, companies should change the way employees are engaged. Since companies want to improve business outcomes every day, the importance of highly motivated employees working remotely play a fundamental role in company structure. 

Many millennials are approaching the jobs market with high expectations, so how can employers struggle to give their employees  a meaning and a purpose in their companies and keep them happy and engaged.

This question can be approached in many different ways. But first, it’s important to understand the remote job market change. 

In a 2016 Gallup poll, 43 percent of U.S employees worked remotely in some capacity, increasing from 39 percent back in 2012, according to  Forbes. 

In other words, jobs completed out of office grew 4 percent, disrupting more of the traditional workplace. 

As millennials take over the job market, this number is more likely to increase. Despite this, companies such as IBM, Bank of America, Yahoo and others have stopped their telecommuting programs, Forbes also reported. 

>
The use of technology becomes an important way to get the job done efficiently.
— Cristian Marulanda

Particularly for millennials, the lack of job motivation when working remotely comes from not having a meaning or a purpose at the workplace. This can lead to unhappy employees, who may reflect their discontent through poor performance, lack of innovation and lack of loyalty.

By 2025, millennials will account for almost 75 percent, of the workforce, according to Forbes.

With a continuous growth intelecommuting year over year, employers have a lot to do to increase employees’ productivity, while also keeping them loyal and fully engaged to the job.

Offering an environment where workers can feel appreciated, independent and included as part of a team are fundamental keys to motivate the remote work culture.

Millennials are more likely to say they would change jobs for an employee benefit or a perk than past generations, such as Generation X or baby boomers. 

The reason for this difference is that millennials are more focused on education, personal development and flexibility.

The latter point is becoming very important, since there is no need to be in an office to complete the projects or tasks assigned. In the millennial culture, a 9-to-5 workday schedule becomes less relevant, office perks are extremely necessary and the flexibility of working from anywhere takes more importance.  

The perks should match employees’ needs to attract potential candidates. 

Since millennials want to feel valuable, customizing a set of benefits may help to make them feel part of the company. They can motivate them through messages about flexibility, financial stability, family-friendly policies and other perks that makes them feel valued at the company.

Additionally, it is important to make millennials feel part of something without forgetting that they love to work independently at their own pace. 

But also, it’s more important for these workers to have a strong leader with bold goals. If they don’t know what’s expected of them or if they are not in roles that match their talents, then it doesn’t matter the number of perks that a company has because employees will still experience issues while trying to work. 

Another significant driver to motivate remote workers is that they need to feel part of a team in a different way to the traditional workplace. 

Since millennials grew up in an era dominated by the internet, they don’t need to meet up in a room to organize projects. The use of technology becomes an important way to get the job done efficiently. 

As part of a team, millennials must use social media, video chats, instant messaging, specialized apps and devices that can contribute to the company’s productivity.

These strategies may help keep employees engaged in an era where everyone is connected, time is limited and work-life balance is scarce.

View Comments (1)