Senate Meeting: USG provides updates after Faculty Senate

USG

USG

Edgar Llivisupa, Sports Editor

Baruch College’s Undergraduate Student Government met for its 13th Senate meeting of the spring 2022 semester on May 10.

It was its first in-person meeting since Senate meetings became virtual in March 2020.

Chair of Philanthropy Jason Galak provided an update after the Faculty Senate meeting on May 5.

Vice President for Information Services and Dean of the Library Arthur Downing spoke on the emailing malfunctions reported by faculty this week. While student emails are not affected, they are advised to contact their professors via Zoom or in person.

Provost Linda Essig reported on Baruch’s hiring for the 2021-2022 school year. She authorized 42 faculty positions.

This year, 35 positions were filled, 21 by new lecturers and additional full-time faculty. There were also 19 retirements this year.

For the 2022-2023 school year, Essig will authorize hiring 36 new faculty positions across the three schools and the William and Anita Newman Library.

Glenn Petersen, professor of anthropology, asked if Baruch could plant flowers to beautify the Clivner=Field Plaza. Galak said this could be an initiative for the next USG administration but noted that the city owns the plaza, which could cause potential hurdles.

Peterson went on to discuss the Central Intelligence Agency’s presence on Baruch’s campus. In 2017, the CIA announced a deepened cooperation with Baruch for students to learn about employment programs. This decision caused controversy for former Baruch President Mitchel Wallerstein.

Carla Bellamy, assistant professor of anthropology, said that she is worried for the safety of students and their friends and families from countries where the CIA targets its work.

Essig responded that the collaboration between the two entities ended 10 months ago. Petersen then requested President S. David Wu issue a statement announcing the end of the partnership.

Vice President of Enrollment Management Mary Gorman later shared that freshman applications increased by 10% compared to the last school year and that Baruch will have its largest freshman class in fall 2022.

Associate Provost Dennis Slavin spoke about Baruch’s new online bookstore that is expected to launch in spring 2023. The bookstore, Akademos, already exists at 18 other CUNY campuses. Baruch’s current lease with Barnes and Noble, Inc. expires in December 2022.

Vice President of Legislative Affairs Karina Chiqui attempted to introduce the USG climate resolution passed in a prior senate meeting. She said Chair of the Baruch Faculty Senate Terrence Martell refused to allow the resolution to be considered.

“I think it’s highly inappropriate that the Faculty Senate would reject such an important resolution when it impacts students when it relates to the environment,” Executive Vice President Richard Reyes said. “I would urge (Martell) to set aside any differences and to really vote on the matters that benefit Baruch students whether collaborations are equally distributed.”

Chair of Finance Tyler Yang issued a statement regarding two 2022 – 2023 club budgets, including Partners in Conversations, that were not presented to USG. He said he will work with the 2022-2023 Chair of Finance to create their budgets.

Vice President of Campus Affairs Erika Cumbe spoke about the terrazzo floor replacement on the first floor. Construction is expected to be completed by the end of fall 2022.

One of the library door replacements is completed to make it compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Reyes, President Alison Lee, Treasurer Lesli Cuamani and Executive Secretary Yam-Yu Li all presented remarks in their final Senate and introduced next year’s executive board.

The 2022-2023 board will be President Laiba Hussain, Executive Vice President Osvaldo Garcia, Treasurer Julie Margolin and Executive Secretary Abdullah Mahdi.