Farewell Letter

Courtesy of USG

Richard Reyes

Four years ago, I came to Baruch College as a timid first-year student from Long Island.

I would have never imagined that my time here would finally be coming to an end. My first ever memory and what changed the direction of my time here was convocation.

Apart from serving as a preliminary introduction to Baruch, the club life scene is a prominent feature of this annual event for first year students.

I remember seeing the energy that the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Student Government created for the incoming class. I knew then and there that I wanted to get involved with USG in some capacity.

It’s incredible to reminisce about that moment as I approach the end of my time at Baruch and my time as executive vice president.

I have had the opportunity to wear many hats during my time in USG, and in many cases, followed a traditional path.

I started off joining a few committees, arts, philanthropy and legislative, during my first year, followed by being elected as a member of the 2019-2020 student programming board while also serving as a vice chair for the legislative committee.

I was elected as vice president of legislative affairs from 2020 to 2021 during the tumultuous beginning of the pandemic. I have had an opportunity to view student government through the lens of many modalities.

I witnessed and was part of a fully in-person year, an online year and now, a hybrid year. The Baruch environment that I knew of a few years ago has certainly changed but remains true to its essence at its core.

I often categorize this year as a transitional one. I believe that USG played a huge part in revitalizing the Baruch that existed before the world was turned upside down due to the pandemic.

This success was all due to our USG team, consisting of all of our table members.

I am glad to have had an amazing executive board consisting of President Alison Lee,  Secretary Yam-Yu Li and Treasurer Lesli Cuamani, in leading our passionate and driven team.

The executive board and a large part of our team is graduating this semester.

It’s a bittersweet moment but I think of it as transitional as well — the class of 2022 is the only class who had their college experience split right in half, both in-person and online/hybrid.

I leave Baruch as executive vice president with great hopes that the Baruch life will redefine itself as classes largely return to in-person next academic term.

I leave knowing that my contributions to Baruch are plentiful and helped structure what an efficient USG term can look like, and by proxy, an eventful Baruch scene.

I’d like to end things off by congratulating the class of 2022 and wishing a major good luck to all future USG terms!