Women’s History Month at Baruch celebrates healing and hope

Baruch+College

Baruch College

Adham Elshaabiny, Marketing Director

Baruch College celebrated Women’s History Month in March with the theme “Providing Healing, Promoting Hope.”

March is a special time to recognize and honor the achievements of women throughout history. The Office of Student Life partnered with several organizations within the Baruch community to showcase the work done by women today.

“The powerful work of Women to bring Hope and Healing brought change in our past, bring change in our present, and will bring change to our future,” OSL said on its website.

The Women’s History Month celebrations commenced March 3 with the opening ceremony at the William and Anita Newman Vertical Campus in the second-floor lobby. The Baruch community gathered in front of OSL’s office and wrote letters of empowerment to women.

OSL, along with Baruch’s chapter of She’s the First and Women in Business, held an educational event, “Period. End of Sentence,” on March 1 to raise awareness about the issue of period poverty.

The event was followed by an initiative, “Project Period Drive,” in partnership with PERIOD., a youth-fueled nonprofit that strives to eradicate period poverty and stigma to collect hygienic products for women. Donations went to The Bowery Mission Tribeca Campus, which serves homeless and hungry New Yorkers.

For those at Baruch who celebrated Woman History Month, it was important to take a moment to reflect on the accomplishments of women throughout history. From groundbreaking scientific discoveries to leading political movements, women have always been at the forefront of change, OSL said.

The “He Named Me Malala Screening and Conversation” events on March 9 and 11 shared Malala Yousafzai’s story. Malala is a Pakistani education activist best known for her advocacy of girls’ right to receive an education. Malala was shot by the Taliban in 2012 but survived and has since become the youngest-ever Nobel Prize laureate.

Several Baruch organizations took the opportunity to reflect on women’s progress and a future where equality is a reality for all through hosting the “Letters for Change” event on March 10.

The event focused on drafting letters to Congress about bills concerning equal rights. Baruch students spent a session learning how to write letters regarding the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment.

The Women’s History Month celebration proceeded with several events that provided an open, safe and creative space to discuss many topics with accomplished women in different fields.

Among these topics were using creative writing for women empowerment, discussion on equality in the workplace and representation in the publishing fields.