What’s next for James after 10,000th milestone

Erik Drost | Wikimedia Commons

Ma-Nogoy Faye, Business Manager

During the Los Angeles Lakers’ 140111 loss to league-best Phoenix Suns on March 13, Lebron James became the first player in National Basketball Association history to reach 10,000 points, rebounds and assists.

James recorded his 10,000 assist during the second quarter of the game in a pass to Carmelo Anthony for a 3-pointer.

Only 38 players in NBA history have amassed 10,000 points and rebounds, respectively, and the players with the closest to 10,000 assists are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with 5,660, and Kevin Garnet with 5,445.

James is no stranger to breaking records. Back in February, he became the third player to score 35,000 regular-season points  and in 2018 became the youngest, and second-fastest player, behind Wilt Chamberlain, to cross 30,000 points.

James should be able to climb the all-time leaderboard quickly. Magic Johnson, Mark Jackson, and Steve Nash all have under 10,400 assists which James should be able to surpass by next season, placing him in the top four. From there on it would be a matter of how long he is planning to stay in the NBA.

In an interview with The Athletic’s Jason Lloyd, James expressed his desire to play at least one year with his son, Bronny James, for whichever team his son is signed to. He would retire after a season.

“My last year will be played with my son,” James said to The Athletic. “Wherever Bronny is at, that’s where I’ll be. I would do whatever it takes to play with my son for one year. It’s not about the money at that point.”

Currently, Bronny James is a high school junior at Sierra Canyon School in California. If Bronny follows a traditional, one-and-done prospect path, the earliest he can play in the NBA is at the start of the 2024-25 season. Since middle school, he has had interest from college bluebloods Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, North Carolina and Kentucky.

If he does wait to retire until after playing with his son, Lebron will likely become the highest scoring player, and NBA’s first-ever member of the 40,000-point club.

Looking back at the 2020-21 season, where he only played 45 games, James still amassed 1,126 points. That was the fewest points he scored in a season in his career, yet could be enough to pass Abdul-Jabbar next season.

In terms of assists, if James can keep up this level of passing until age 39 (8.1 assists per 71 games), it seems James is destined to finish his career third or fourth (depending on Chris Paul’s career trajectory) in career assists, behind John Stockton and Jason Kidd.

All of this to say, it’s a safe bet that James will become the NBA’s all-time leading scorer and remains, as coined by almost everyone in the world, the G.O.A.T.