Queens College launches new business school

Queens College

Rachel Dalloo

Queens College’s President Frank H. Wu announced the development of the School of Business on March 3. It is part of the college’s 2021–2026 strategic plan to raise more awareness toward the growing demand for business professionals across New York City.

“Interdisciplinary programs like these are to be expected in a business school with an integrated liberal arts curriculum,” Wu said in a statement. “The Queens College Business School isn’t just for business, accounting and economics majors; we expect it to attract students interested in a wide range of subjects, such as political science, social justice, ethics and cultural differences in the universe of business.”

The college’s business school aims to “provide students with the skills needed to navigate through the fast-evolving world of business,” as stated in the schools’ mission statement.

According to Queens College’s website, there are currently six undergraduate business-related majors — actuarial studies, finance, international business, quantitative economics, accounting and economics. For graduate degrees, the college offers programs in taxation, accounting and risk management.

Through the established business school, students will be able to obtain their Bachelor of Business Administration degree in finance, with a fintech concentration and in business economics and policy, per the statement.

Interim Dean of Social Sciences and professor of anthropology Kate Pechenkina served as master of ceremonies for the event.

Those who attended and spoke at the opening event included Wu, U.S. Rep. Grace Meng, Queens College Provost Elizabeth Hendrey, NYC Department of Small Business Services Commissioner and CUNY Trustee Kevin Kim, Queens Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Tom Grech, Queens College Foundation member Paulette Bradnock Mullings and economics professor Joan Nix. Queens College students Faheem Hoosain, Melanie Goldsmith and Rebecca Yaminian also spoke at the event.

“It was an honor to be at Queens College for the launching of its new School of Business,” Meng said. “It was such a momentous occasion for the future of our borough and city. The School of Business will offer students outstanding opportunities and help position them to become the business leaders of tomorrow.”

In addition to the announcement, seven students were recognized as winners of the Ideas Competition, a competition organized by StartupTree, an online-based company dedicated to entrepreneurship.

The awards were given out to individuals who have excelled in specific sectors of competition, such as social and climate impact, health and life science, general, consumer products and services and trading competition.

Both undergraduates and graduates were invited to propose an idea or a prototype on behalf of the competition. There was no requirement to participate in the event, according to QNS.

The business school’s curriculum will focus on “equipping students with both the technical know-how and fundamental knowledge” that’s required in order to achieve an advantage in many careers.

Students will be “encouraged to seek a deep and broad familiarity with different cultures in preparation for roles as leaders in a global society,”according to the statement,