USG elections are upon us once again

The+Ticker

As elections for Baruch College’s Undergraduate Student Government are approaching, I am beyond excited to see so many students passionate and interested in running for student government.

To those running — thank you for taking the first step and deciding to run. I am excited to speak with all of you and find out about your ideas and initiatives as a tentative USG elected member. I am excited as to what you will make USG become through your role. Make sure to campaign passionately! Campaign for yourself and let yourself be known throughout Baruch.

Let students put a face to your name. Talk to the different students and find out what they care about. Address their needs. Campaigning is not an easy journey, but it is definitely worthwhile.

Take time to speak to the different candidates. What does each candidate stand for? Why do they want to run? What makes them fit to take over this role? What are some of the goals they want to achieve? Why should you vote for them?

I cannot stress this enough — please do not vote solely for your friends. Vote for those who are passionate and want to drive change.

Seeing campaigning season start reminds me of this time last year. Last March, I ran with a team called Project Now. Although Project Now was running unopposed for quite some positions, we knew that we still had to sell our brand.

We campaigned with hard work and effort so students could see exactly who was running to represent them. We shared our mission with others through a written platform.

We campaigned not only because we wanted students to come out and vote, but we also wanted students to know that USG existed as a whole body of dedicated students who are elected to represent the voices of the students.

The most disheartening thing was when we would say, “Go vote!” and students responded with, “Why? You’re the only team running. What is the point of voting if you’re going to win either way?”

That is not the point of voting. Voting for USG elections at Baruch suggests a student population that is aware of the governing body that represents it and exercises its right to vote. Voting is not just a number; it is a voice and each voice can make or break a candidate.

Radhika Kalani is the president of USG. She can be reached at radhika.kalani@usgbaruch.com. Her office is located at 3-272 in the Newman Vertical Campus.